AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Cover X San Merah

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Red Cover X San Merah

So I fell in love with two particular style of fish. Similar families (same base) One is the Rose red w/ blue face & blue rim and the other is the golden San Merah or Golden Rose red. I'm waiting on Kenny for the Rose red blue's and I found the Golden Rose reds from Discus America.

I cannot speak on behalf of Discus America just yet, however, their packaging has been THE best packaging I've seen from any online fish retailer that I have purchased from. The fish, to me, look amazing and very nice for how young they are. It has also been the easiest acclimation I have done yet. The fish settled in like if they have always been in my tank.

Here are the parents.

and, these are their kids? my kids!
    605ADEBD-A497-411C-8382-5F41B0C83DD2.jpg
    31F8BE40-724F-4951-A76D-1B35F029D181.jpg
    3AD8198E-375B-408F-B736-DE524C969300.jpg16B72478-0AEB-4BFB-AC84-DF22407C92BC.jpg39C90E57-6CAE-4608-AB0C-408F76B5EF07.jpg5A90BDBF-9FD3-4ABD-892B-086B5DCF228A.jpg577CD93C-A255-440C-9BDB-5EA0125E5532.jpg5903F91E-49F9-4B10-9556-5F49DE2AC912.jpg
    Last edited by Mando; 09-10-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Default Re: Red Cover X San Merah

Congrats Mando!

I am looking forward to watching them color up as they grow... at least one in the group already has a nice base red and looks distinctly different.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    On the left. I'd like to see this one fully grown...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Bingo.. thats the one I was looking at too Brian.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

+1 me too...blue face emerging already as well!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Congrats Mando!

I am looking forward to watching them color up as they grow... at least one in the group already has a nice base red and looks distinctly different.

al
    Thanks, Al! I hope he maintains the red and a deep red at that. He barely shows bars and I see another that is starting to darken up like him but with bars. He's the one right of him on the first photo and complete left on the 7th photo.

I think he will be my favorite. He's already the one that stands out in the group. This was fresh after plopping them into the tank. Tomorrow they should be a bit darker.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    +1 me too...blue face emerging already as well!
    I struggled with this youtube link! lol. I kept telling myself, fix it before Dan gets you. I finally realized it was set as URL instead of Video.

Real Name
    Daniel

Lol, that's funny. I never thought my link fixing put fear in the hearts of anyone in the community, haha

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Lol, that's funny. I never thought my link fixing put fear in the hearts of anyone in the community, haha
    No fear but it was in the back of my mind when I posted haha. As for a small update, the fish are eating already which surprised me; they destroyed a full block of red worms. If you guys noticed the sand particles in the tank, that's from a bio block I broke in half to seed the filter. This was a brand new tank and the debris did not come from the fish.

I may have to water change this tank straight from Tap since it's in a different part of the house and it's no where near the aged, heated, water storage drum I have outside. However, I could always carry buckets. I figured 2x 5g buckets is equivalent to 30% water change in a 30g tank. I would have to do this twice a day - Morning and Night.

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, the one on the left looks more like a true San Merah which is barless. They are very faint and hopefully will fade out as it matures. True San Merah's are not that common, at least not tat I've seen because I've been looking. Many people sell using the name Red Cover (supposed to be barless) or Rose Red (has bars). I would love to acquire some Blue Faced San Merah's.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Yeah, the one on the left looks more like a true San Merah which is barless. They are very faint and hopefully will fade out as it matures. True San Merah's are not that common, at least not tat I've seen because I've been looking. Many people sell using the name Red Cover (supposed to be barless) or Rose Red (has bars). I would love to acquire some Blue Faced San Merah's.
    I did not read much on it, but I think the blue faced San Merahs derived from a cross with a Ghost? Even though the bars are faint compared to the others, it still has a dominant bar crossing his eye. Are San Merah's even true? Aren't they a cross between red covers, virgin reds, and rose reds?

Mark Volders had a beautiful line of BLue face/Blue rim Red Covers (barless) and Unfortunately, he sold this pair and lost the line. Don't quote me but I think he got them from Goh in Malaysia. I believe Dalatdiscus will get another shipment soon. He just imported 6 from Goh and they were gone before they arrived.

There are two in here that I would have bought in a heart beat.
    86303426-B1B1-4D25-9620-586BEE47F9B5.jpg
    Last edited by Mando; 09-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Me too, middle one and upside down one in top left of pic...wow!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Me too, middle one and upside down one in top left of pic...wow!
    Exactly!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

These guys are aggressive! They fight constantly when the worms go in. The red base you guys like is not eating much but you could see him in a stand off for food on one of the pics. I've treated the tank with salt and increased the temperature a little bit.

SMXRS 1.jpg
    SMXRS 8.jpg
    SMXRS 2.jpg
    SMXRS 6.jpg
    SMXRS 10.jpg
    SMXRS 9.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

These guys are now feeding on the tetra color bits so I will add the auto feeder while I'm at work. I was making sure that all of them are feeding before auto feeding. They devoured the two portions of color bits I fed yesterday within seconds. I cannot wait to start offering Al's worms. I am currently out at the moment.

The red base finally started eating. These fish are very aggressive when they eat and are constantly battling each other. Hardcore face to face matchups.

If a mod could mod could move this thread, I would greatly appreciate it. This is not a tank journal, it's a growout.

Done!

al

ps... fish are looking Great Mando!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast