AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus eating cardinals

Registered Member

Default Discus eating cardinals

I have tried rummynose tetras in the past and observed several of the rummynose tetras "interfering" with the discus after pooping. I then switched to cardinals and so far, the discus have terminated 7 of them. The problem is that by themselves, my group of discus are jittery but far more relaxed with dither fish in the tank.

So now I'm looking for a compatible tetra to keep with the discus. Please help.
    Last edited by Rolla P; 09-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Default Re: Discus eating cardinals

The cardinals are generally quite small when you buy them. I suggest that you grow them out in another tank before adding them to the Discus tank.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    I have tried rummynose tetras in the past and observed several of the rummynose tetras "interfering" with the discus after pooping. I then switched to cardinals and so far, the discus have terminated 7 of them. The problem is that by themselves, my group of discus are jittery but far more relaxed with dither fish in the tank.

So now I'm looking for a compatible tetra to keep with the discus. Please help.
    You can also do harley Quinn Tetras or rainbows. Whatever you add, please QT.

Congo tetras, can do well with Discus....tolerate low 80s and are stunning fish... If you tire of the tetras, maybe consider smaller cichlids.. festivums, keyhole, and rams.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I donno about rainbows. They are pretty active fish. I'm not familiar with Quinn tetras. Pearl gouramies are perfect. They are gentle and slow moving like Discus. They don't school though.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Lemon tetras look nice and school close.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I donno about rainbows. They are pretty active fish. I'm not familiar with Quinn tetras. Pearl gouramies are perfect. They are gentle and slow moving like Discus. They don't school though.
    Rainbows are active but I seen a few videos with the combination and Discus never seemed to be stressed by them. Harley quinns actually school with the neons. Just a tad bigger.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

What is your tank size?

As Al mentioned, I do agree that Congo tetra are beautiful, but they are very active and fast eaters.
    If the tank is not big enough for comfy setup, I'm afraid they are going to stress either one or another.

Also, Liz is spot on as the cardinals usually are sold with <1" size.
    If you can keep them separately til they are 1.5"+, I don't think discus would tough them.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Willie

I keep rummynose with my discus and they don't get eaten. I also find that rummynose school better than cardinals.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I posted this in another thread but it's very relevant here:

My discus devoured my cardinal tetras. They developed a taste for the eyes. I'd find the cardinals floating around the tank with their eyes missing. And then a few days later I saw them in action, cornering and them sucking the eyes out. The problem is that in my observation, the discus are more relaxed with dithers but I've tried rummy, Lemon and cardinal. The rummies do well but I see them interfering with the females vent. The lemons and Cardinal dont last a week.

I bought 22 cardinals and after a quarantine found myself with 4 after 7 days.

I really need a school of dithers but I'm struggling to find a compatible species.

Forgive my ignorance if I have missed it but there does not seem to be a thread for compatible tetras and discus. I'd love to have some examples other than cardinals, and rummynose. I'm legitimately at my wits end and my wife is growing increasingly annoyed that nothing, thus far, has worked. Ugh lol

Try Rams.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

My tank is a 120G with an extra 50G if I including filtration.

I should add again that my discus appear way more skittish without a school of tetras. They'll dart unexpectedly from one area to the next when they're alone in the tank. With a school, they're visibly way more relaxed. I never thought I'd be in a position where dithers are "This" important. But I consider them vital right now.
    Last edited by Rolla P; 09-26-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Try Rams. They come from the Amazon river so they like the same conditions as Discus. When they get into breeding mode they are aggressive with one another, but they never bother the Discus at all. Another plus is that they are quite beautiful.

You have gotten several excellent recommendations. If your stuck on tetras we haven given you many good suggestions.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I keep rams with my two tanks of discus and they both keep each other inline ..They both breed in the same tank to boot ! Can't wait till one gets to try raising fry in the set up ! I have been stealing eggs so far [the bandit in me ]...
    Rams can be aggressive eaters so the disc seeing a smaller fish devouring their food drives them to eat even more !
    The two together are like a turbine at feeding time with one generating the other and on it goes till packed full of black worms !

WAIT wait wait... ... can you elaborate on how they interfere with the discus when they were pooping? My mind is totally wondering right now but anything that comes up has made me chuckle a little bit and sometimes a lot of bit
    -Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast