AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Peacock Gudgeons - A diversion that's keeping me engaged in fishkeeping.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Peacock Gudgeons - A diversion that's keeping me engaged in fishkeeping.

To keep somewhat engaged in the hobby, I'm keeping a pair of Peacock Gudgeons in a little 5gal all-in-one aquarium. With extensive work travel this fall and a final winter in Mexico, that means really limited fishkeep until spring (when I will complete my fish rack in earnest!). This setup works for now.

Peacock Gudgeons are interesting. They lay eggs constantly. The male gaurds and fans them exclusively (then eats them). They've killed every shrimp, including a somewhat large amano.

They are tolerating very hard water, high pH and a somewhat variable temperature (heater is set to 80degF, but the tank will get hotter than that just because of it's location towards the back of the house where A/C is set to 82degF).

Anyone else keep these guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 09-10-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: double foto
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Peacock Gudgeons - A diversion that's keeping me engaged in fishkeeping.

I have no experience with them but they sure are beautiful.

Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Peacock Gudgeons - A diversion that's keeping me engaged in fishkeeping.

Today was the first day the aquarium heater (25W for this small 5gal aquarium) has turned on since May. I maintain 78degF for these guys.We are still sleeping with our doors and windows open, but I think last night was the last of it... Desert gets very cold at night this time of year (okay high fifties, but that's cold to me). In fact, we closed all the windows and doors this morning! Looks like I won't be storing my aging water out on the back patio for a while... It was cold for the fishies when I did their water change this morning.
    Peter

learning never stops

I love them! The last thing I need is another fish project but I'm going to look into them.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

They sure are beautiful, and they are my favorite color of Discus! Do you have a whole tank pic?
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Peter

Last few years I've spent 1/2 my time in Arizona and 1/2 my time in Mexico. So, I needed to take down the little tank that was home to these Peacock Gudgeons. Yesterday, I went to the monthly meeting of the Desert Aquarist Society in Tucson AZ and donated the fish (Peacock pair, amano shrimp and otocinclus) in a 5 gallon bucket with the plants (dwarf val and bolbitus) to be auctioned off. The meeting ran so late, and I had a prior obligation, so after a few hours I left before my 'bucket o fish' came up for auction... So I don't know what the winning bid was or what member got them.

Anyway, I'll put in a plug for the Desert Aquarist Society in Tucson AZ. Really good group of fishkeepers. Focus seems to be on rainbows, tetras, killifish, mollies and shrimp. Heavily focused on planted aquariums... Nice Free and $1 table. Auction for member stuff (equipment, plants, fish, shrimp), raffle for big donated stuff and gift certificates from local pet stores (good specialized ones...). They ran a fun 40 question quiz and I knew enough to earn a 'shark bait' rating.

We will close down things in Mexico for a while.... probably electing to stay full time in Arizona for a few years... So that will give me more of an opportunity to delve back into the hobby full steam (and finish and automate my central rack setup with my de-rimmed 20L tanks..woohoo) and trade/learn with the old-timers in the Tucson based club (it's just a 40 minute drive from my home just north of the border).

I enjoyed the Peacock Gudgeons and would recommend them. Prolific egg layers (and eaters). Really beautiful.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-09-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    Peter

learning never stops