AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: cool stories

Default cool stories

I just talked to a good friend who started in Discus 30 years ago. She told me two excellent stories. She bought from Wattly when he was the only one who could breed discus. She also bought fish from Gwynbrook. Discus cost a fortune back then.

I kept encouraging her to tell her stories here. She is a member. I can't understand why she thinks that nobody cares about what she posts. I post stories that I care about and I don't care if people care or not. The satisfaction is in writing the story.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: cool stories

Well, you did succeed convincing her that we care Liz .Kudos for both of you and it was an interesting read for me .

I hope I did. At least I tried my best.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I hope I did. At least I tried my best.
    I got my first Discus in 1986, so I'm of the same era and would love to hear her stories.

Mama Bear

Liz, I remember buying any discus book I could find when I was in high school. I even loved reading about dr. Axelrod because somehow that bridged a very entertaining and dynamic life with discus ( Not only was he a certified ichthyologist, but he also pause a war veteran, travel to South America relentlessly, and even became involved with expensive string instrument scam that I thought was so damn exciting all that he was at fault). I saved up for a LFS subscription and predominantly flipped straight to Jack Wattley's section immediately upon receiving each magazine in the mail. I also wrote a handwritten letter to dr. Axelrod when he was still running the magazine and he sent me one back and it was so cool. Back then I cannot share that with people my age because there are hardly any wind and high school who are infatuated with discus. Dr. Axelrod several pages and mailed ( before email! Which I think is more personal in special!). I can totally relate see what you are saying!

I also bought discus from gwynnbrook. Peter called me I had of the shipment and we talked over the phone for about an hour. So much cool stuff I learned from speaking with him. To include why pH is going to be higher than neutral with modern building since the usage of copper pipes. He said if it's not, then be concerned!
    -Elliot