ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best trustworthy Nitrate Test Kit or Tool

Registered Member

Default Best trustworthy Nitrate Test Kit or Tool

I have been getting significantly different test results using API and Seachem Nitrate test kits. So I decided to purchase a Hagen Nutrafin Nitrate test kit for a third opinion to see if I could come up with some consensus on which product might be providing the most trustworthy reading. Well the disparity continues. Todays reading are: Nutrafin 8ppm, Seachem 22ppm, and API still 40ppm plus. No kidding eh? May try some strips next. Seachem is in the middle and hence may be the most accurate....I just don't know. We buy these products and trust them with the health and welfare of our fish....this is very frustrating. Does anyone have an accurate Nitrate measuring tool?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Default Re: Best trustworthy Nitrate Test Kit or Tool

Yeah, I do agree.
    I'm using only API but not as an "absolute" measurement, but like a benchmark.
    That being said, using the same kit for a period of time and compare each result to see the changes.

Heck, for API result, I can't in my life tell the diff between 5-10-20, or 40-80...
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

The reef aquarium guys are very particular about test kits, they despise API and rate salifert. The range on that kit might be a bit narrow for you but it might be worth checking it out.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Have you checked against another API nitrate tester? maybe yours is expired or contaminated.

I trust my API test for nitrate and nitrate. As long as the first is 5 and the second are 0 and my fish act fine. As long as the fish are feeling good how can I complain? I've been using the AP{ kit for years. I no longer keep one on hand these days because they expire between the times I check my water. My LFS uses API and keeps theirs up to date so I just run a sample down to them. They do it as a free service.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 09-18-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: think better than I type.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

My API test kit is new. I test three tanks every 3 days for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, and use a TDS meter for general hardness. For my small discus tank I finally found a consensus. Here are my latest readings using various kits: Nutrafin Nitrate: 8PPM (did three different tests...all the same); Waterworks Nitrite and Nitrate test strips: 10PPM, Seachem Nitrite and Nitrate: 25PPM; Salifert Nitrate: 25PPM, and API Nitrate: 40ppm plus. All over the map. Since Seachem and Salifert are identical, I guess I should trust these kits....still am uneasy.

Registered Member

the HACH DR900 Multiparameter is $2035.00 CDN Dollars!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatia View Post
    the HACH DR900 Multiparameter is $2035.00 CDN Dollars!
    I've seen them for as low as $475 USD on eBay. New in box with some reagents, too.