AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Backyard Birds Challenge

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Backyard Birds Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    This time of year is great for bird watching.. Migration brings us many birds right to our own backyards and local parks. No extensive traveling needed. Are any of you bird watchers? Do you have a feeder up that you put seed out for our feathered friend? How about a little challenge? Lets see how many species of birds we can post pics of from our widespread membership base. Doesn't need to be a fancy DSLR picture.. smart phone is fine.Videos are fine. You don't even need to know the name, we can probably figure that out for you.

This isn't a photo contest, no need to be embarrassed by your photo skills...or lack of them. Just a fun little collection of birds in your area. Lets limit it to with an hours drive of you..that should cover many state and federal parks.

Anyone interested?

al
    I love watching and identifying birds where ever i am, but more so when i see them coming through my backyard for a visit. I do not keep a feeder out, but try to plant shrubs and trees that attract them. Flowering gum trees attract the very colorful rainbow lorikeets, and bottle brushes many of the wax bill varieties. A huge gum tree i had brought in many sulphur crested cockatoos, galas, yellow tailed black cockatoos, and Rosellas. A couple of large pine trees out in the front yard attracts red faced European finches, mainly for nesting in early spring.

some of the birds i mentioned are in this thread i started awhile back...feel free to re visit it and ad your wildlife to it
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-your-wildlife

This is one species i had never seen before. I spotted them when i was watering the veggie patch the other day, and one came in close and started burrowing in between a gap in my retaining wall. They are called 'Spotted Pardalote' and mainly inhabit high eucalypt canopies, feeding on insects, especially psyllids. They have been known to dig burrows up to 3 feet deep ending with a large chamber that they line with bark. I'll be keeping an eye out for them and their progress.

I know you're into your reptiles Al. This is one that was at my feet today basking on the warm brick pavers. It's a very common blue tongue lizard which would not co operate and stick its tongue out on demand.

80586037_10157396507050266_3184247899525480448_o.jpg78821966_10157396507205266_8576741083826880512_o.jpg79272966_10157396507160266_1631313207056400384_o.jpg79344720_572847183503909_7067842579374538752_n.jpg78800643_764950810647029_7759727231978438656_n.jpg
    Last edited by two utes; 12-10-2019 at 01:38 AM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Dave

Two from this month. Camera Pentax K-1 lens Sigma 50-500 at 500. Both images cropped.

Black Chinned Hummingbird (distance to subject 15 feet)
    p3906462173-6.jpg

Scrub Jay from 25 feet on overcast day (today)
    p3908787522-6.jpg
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

The scrub jay is beautiful. We don't have those down here. The only humming bird we have is the ruby throated. It's a beauty but I'm got good enough to get a picture of one.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Two from this month. Camera Pentax K-1 lens Sigma 50-500 at 500. Both images cropped.

Black Chinned Hummingbird (distance to subject 15 feet)
    p3906462173-6.jpg

Scrub Jay from 25 feet on overcast day (today)
    p3908787522-6.jpg
    Hey Dave, Long time! Hope you have been well. NIce shots... Is that 50-500 the one with OS? I need to go through my pics.. Since the pandemic I have spend alot of time with the local birds here.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Dave

Hey Dave, Long time! Hope you have been well. NIce shots... Is that 50-500 the one with OS? I need to go through my pics.. Since the pandemic I have spend alot of time with the local birds here.

al
    No this one doesn't have OS as the Pentax body has IS (Image Stabilization). I don't use the IS if I can avoid it as if you tripod mount the camera the IS will hunt and cause blur. Even though I hand hold most of the time I use ISO and shutter speed to keep the image sharp.

I have been coming to the forum and reading a bunch.

Al, I really hope all is well with you.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The scrub jay is beautiful. We don't have those down here. The only humming bird we have is the ruby throated. It's a beauty but I'm got good enough to get a picture of one.
    Liz,
    Hummers aren't hard to get on camera, but it takes patience.

I will sit with my back to the front of the house quietly and let them get used to me so I can photograph them, or sit on the sofa with the back door open so I can catch them at a feeder. This male let me open the front door and storm door and sat there so I could photograph him protecting "His" feeders.

I had an elusive visitor to the yard yesterday. I have seen this bird species in the woods here but they never come to the feeder and are skittish as can be. They are on my," I need to get that BIRD list" I've taken to keeping my camera and a telephoto lens outside with me anytime I am in the yard now, even if doing yard work. Caught a glimpse of a flash of blue off in the trees behind my house...

INDIGO BUNTING...

indigo bunting

indigo bunting

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

This time of year is great for bird watching.. Migration brings us many birds right to our own backyards and local parks. No extensive traveling needed. Are any of you bird watchers? Do you have a feeder up that you put seed out for our feathered friend? How about a little challenge? Lets see how many species of birds we can post pics of from our widespread membership base. Doesn't need to be a fancy DSLR picture.. smart phone is fine.Videos are fine. You don't even need to know the name, we can probably figure that out for you.

This isn't a photo contest, no need to be embarrassed by your photo skills...or lack of them. Just a fun little collection of birds in your area. Lets limit it to with an hours drive of you..that should cover many state and federal parks.

Anyone interested?

al
    DG may have told you that one of his most popular and valuable bird photos was one that he took while sitting in his yard sipping a lemonade. Bird sat down beside him. He had his camera handy and several thousands of dollars later he had realized that that one freak shot had become a money maker.

Real Name
    Dave

I had an elusive visitor to the yard yesterday. I have seen this bird species in the woods here but they never come to the feeder and are skittish as can be. They are on my," I need to get that BIRD list" I've taken to keeping my camera and a telephoto lens outside with me anytime I am in the yard now, even if doing yard work. Caught a glimpse of a flash of blue off in the trees behind my house...

INDIGO BUNTING...

indigo bunting

indigo bunting

al
    Fantastic Shot Al

I will try and get a shot of our black billed magpies for you... Yes Heckle and Jeckle live here in my town year round.

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Fantastic Shot Al

I will try and get a shot of our black billed magpies for you... Yes Heckle and Jeckle live here in my town year round.
    Hey Dave,Thanks. I shot the Buntings with similar combo to you, K3 with Sigma 50-500 ( No OS) and hand held.

That would be great. I'd love to see the magpies.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Dave

Hey Dave,Thanks. I shot the Buntings with similar combo to you, K3 with Sigma 50-500 ( No OS) and hand held.

That would be great. I'd love to see the magpies.

al
    Al, I have that K-3 also... I have the Honeywell Spotmatic (made in 1968), ME Super with motor winder, K20d, K-7, K-5, K-3, and the K-1

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910