ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Does Seachem Combo Alert Pack 1 Year? More questions also

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Does Seachem Combo Alert Pack 1 Year? More questions also

1. Does Seachem Combo Alert Pack 1 Year? Just curious because it has mix reviews online and on youtube so I just wanted to know if anyone experience this product and if it is worth buying.

2.My tap water has 0 ammonia, but when I read other people's tap water, they should have at least alittle bit on ammonia. Is this normal that I have no ammonia in my water? I get it from my garden hose and use that water for my fish tank. I just don't know if API test kit is being accurate. I had the hardest time reading ph and nitrate on that kit.

3. Is Seachem Safe or Prime needed if my fishes are doing well with just tap water directly? My tap water is 7.2(at least maybe 24 hours, it turns into 74), ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 ppm, gh 6, kh 3. I do at least 45% water change on my 80 gallon every night and all my fish(corys, neon, and discus) are fine.

4. Do discus's poop usually float? I keep seeing poop floating around.

5. I feel my discus breeding pair jumbo/normal size bloodworms, is there anything else I should feed them that is different? I am afraid of flakes because they are pretty slow at catching them. I want to do pebbles but i dont know if they will like it plus what brand would you guys recommend?

6. Should I do frequent water changes when my discus pair are about to provide eggs? I don't know if I am scaring them doing water changes every night. THey seem to be fine with me cleaning.

7. Any tips I could get them to spawn quicker?

8. How often do discus breed if I do decide to take the babies out after a month old? I seen some hardcore discus parents being eaten up and their color is pretty gone/bad. I don't want the babies to destroy their color.

9.70386199_390754311615829_5173653248971636736_n.jpg

10. Any other tips to make my discus pair more happy? Put them tips below!

Registered Member

Default Re: Does Seachem Combo Alert Pack 1 Year? More questions also

From day one I have used tap water with Prime and daily water change that equals 100% over a 6 day period of time. I use Prime plus salt or Prime plus Metro for illness depending on the illness.

The poop is floating because it has gas in it.

I feed large frozen blood worms and freeze dried blood worms. Also freeze dried black worms. Frozen brine shrimp. I used to feed beef heart but quit recently, now only occasionally. I mix Hikari Bites, Bio-Color, meal worms, with FDBW. My largest fishes have grown from 3.5 and 4 inches to over 6.5 inches since October and two of them have paired and spawning on that diet. Al advised me that FDBW have all of the nutrition that a fish needs but I get the spinach added kind because it adds calcium to their diets.

When I had wild breeding pairs I would add peat moss to the filters to lower the ph, 20 gallon tanks, and less water changes than I am now doing. I fed home made beef heart which had powder human vitamins and a Koi color enhancer added. With the domestic fish I am hesitant to try the peat moss because they all seem to do okay with most tap or aged waters. Triggers such as water temperature differences seem to work on the Discus to begin the spawning cycles. I was talking to Kenny the other day, one of the forum sponsors, who told me that when his monthly shipments arrive he occasionally notices mating behaviors among some of the fish. These would be fish that had been traveling for hours from Asia in a water chemical make up different from his own and yet they are apparently ready to rock and roll in spite of the shipping and various water changes during their brief stay in his tanks.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Does Seachem Combo Alert Pack 1 Year? More questions also

Tap water should only have ammonia in it if they use chloramines at your water supply. In that case you should use Safe or Prime. The nitrates you see in your tap water is usually found near farm land where ferts are used and the run off gets in the water table. Try another food and see what happens for the floating poop. A mix of different types of food is better. Frozen bloodworms are more water than food.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 09-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.