AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head standing discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

Default head standing discus

I have a 6" discus that just started to head stand,I have put him in a quarantine tank and gave him the Epson salt treatment he is pooping real good but still doing the head stand kinda lost what to do I have purchased some metronidazole and waiting for it to come in is there anything else I can do for him

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: head standing discus

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    I have a 6" discus that just started to head stand,I have put him in a quarantine tank and gave him the Epson salt treatment he is pooping real good but still doing the head stand kinda lost what to do I have purchased some metronidazole and waiting for it to come in is there anything else I can do for him
    I don’t think the issue requires metro. Does he look bloated?

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, we really need more to go on. Can you copy and paste this questionnaire onto this thread? We'd like to see a photo as well.. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?he started to clean area like he was ready to spawn with other discus in tank

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    he is eating good the only issue I see is head standing

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. Epson salt twice 1 teasp for 10 gallons

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.100 gallon all other fish are doing fine

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).approx. 20% weekly

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? snd substrate and been going since june 2019

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.no aging ph level stays around 7.1

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use? tetra

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __86.7___

- ph _7.1____

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _x___

- RO water ___x_

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. no

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.twice a day morning is a mixture of discus pellet tetra min flake and sprilla frozen brine at night a beef heart mix and frozen blood worms

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them. he is pooping nice black poop and lookd great except for a swallon area middle body I would send a picture but I don't know how to attach
    Last edited by jeep; 07-08-2019 at 12:34 PM.

08-08-2004, 12:09 AM
    Carol_Roberts
    Registered Member

iTrader

Reisease Questionnai

Real Name
    Mervin

What are the nitrates. Sounds like swim bladder issues. It could be constipation caused by from high levels of nitrate or something blocking the vent for example food or parasite. Epsoms salt sometimes improves.2- 3 tbsp/10 gal or 3 tsp /5 gal. I'd try larger aged WC's to get nitrates down if they're greater than 10ppm.5 ppm is better for discus.

Real Name
    Brian

There is a size limit on photo's. If you are using your phone to take pictures, try email the photo to yourself and save and you can post.

I'd like to know water parameters as well. Impossible to have 0 nitrates.

Mervin is correct. If this is a blockage, epsom salt may help. If it's the swim bladder it could be an infection or rupture. A good quality photo can help determine this.

Is there swelling the the stomach or a bulge in the mid-section of the spine area?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

just chked nitrates and they were high 80ppm so a water change will be coming next to bring them down and I aready gave him Epson salt and he was pooping good I think its his swim bladder cause there is a bulge in the middle of his body what is the treatment for that trying to add picture on phone with mobile company

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

this is my boy as you can see there is a bulge midway on his side

Real Name
    Brian

A water change next week? I would be changing 90% immediately. Nitrates should be 5 or less. With nitrates at 80, this indicates very few water changes and a high bio load. In my experience, prolonged exposure to high nitrates and bio load can easily create a swim bladder infection and eventual rupture which is incurable...

Real Name
    Brian

ok, you updated while i was writing. Is this discus just angling down or is it mostly pointing straight down?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

angling down but at feeding time he is straight starting water change today

Real Name
    Brian

If the epsom salts doesn't do anything, you want to try treating with kanamycin. Unfortunately, if this is a swim bladder issue then the infection has been present for some time before symptoms appear, and by then the outcome is not a good one.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

His eyes are a bit popped out, no?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dennis

yes they are popped out some so is there a cure or no

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast