ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aging well water

Default Re: Aging well water

Actually, the way to do it is to add a bubbler to bucket. When you test for a pH swing test the water straight from the tap (not the tank water) and then test from the bucket that has been bubbling away and compare the two. If you don't have an API test kit that uses drops LFS often will test your water for free.

How large is your tank. I have a 55 gallon food grade barrel next to my 125 in the office. Other people use heavy duty Brute trash cans. By all means use pumps to drain and refill. Using buckets gets old fast. I'm lucky with my 125. It's close to a window so I'm able to drain using gravity by putting the drain hose out the window.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Try to find food grade drum/barrel. You can find those on sites like kijiji for about $25. Some folks use bubber maid totes. Pumps make WC's A breeze. I would not do without them.
    +1 for this. I bought 4 x 55g food grade drums on offer up for about $60 for all. Quick questions, is the air stone a must? I have a pump in there just circulating water and you can see ripples on the surface.

A nice little tip:

I like to make things easy for me so I got a toilet lever and installed it to my drum. I connected the water hose (from the house, could be well) into the other end and it auto tops off when the sprinkler system kicks on. I also do my water changes in the afternoon right before sunset since the water is nice and warm despite having two heaters in the drum.

I almost got Killed for this, but I drilled 2 x 1 in. hole through the wall behind my tank and I ran a hose through and attached it to my tank. With the tap of a button, it refills my tank. I do not have a drain built in yet. I siphon the water out through my window and I have to be present to stop the pump before it overfills. The idea is to put a bulk head on the sump and have it drain out through the second hole.

You beat me to it, Mervin.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if I’m waiting somewhere between four and 24 hours for the water to age, by that time the temp has dropped way too low for Discus. Are you using a heater in the aging water barrel?

Real Name
    Steve

yes.

yes.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12