AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Do male discus eat more than female?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Do male discus eat more than female?

I have a breeding pair of discus and whenever I try to feel. The male's stomach is always big while the female's is not as big as the male. I tried to feed them separately since the male typically goes to the cone for eating and the female is trying to get it on top of the sand. But for some reason everytime I come back and check the female seems to not have a big belly as the male. Does this usually happen?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Do male discus eat more than female?

In my experience they will eat a similar amount, but bullying at the feeding location is always rampant with the discus I have kept. You mentioned a feeding cone, do you feed cubes or lose worms? If cubes try cutting them down & sticking them to the glass in 2-3 different locations. If lose, presoak them so they sink immediately and maybe the female will get more...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Do male discus eat more than female?

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    In my experience they will eat a similar amount, but bullying at the feeding location is always rampant with the discus I have kept. You mentioned a feeding cone, do you feed cubes or lose worms? If cubes try cutting them down & sticking them to the glass in 2-3 different locations. If lose, presoak them so they sink immediately and maybe the female will get more...
    This is what I do. I put three full cubes spread around the tank and in most cases I cut one into a half so allow for an additional placement elsewhere.

Currently, my female is the biggest eater and she's an aggressive eater. She will only let her pair get food and she fights all the other fish away.