ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: growth retardation

Registered Member

Default growth retardation

hi all, I miss you, one month ago I brought 7 juvis. almost of the same size, now 3 of them grow in a good rate, another 3 is growing ok, but little than the others, the problem is with the 7th, it is very retard, i believe that she has a problem, I upload a video and some pics if it can help

20190917_191401.jpg
    20190917_191708.jpg
    20190917_190934.jpg
    20190917_190940.jpg

thanks a lot, I really need your opinion
    Last edited by khaled; 09-17-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Default Re: growth retardation

Hi Khaled,

Best guess is the one with the slow growth has worms, probably capillaria.. Which means the whole group probably has some...this one is just the weakest,

Do you have access to any dewormers for fish or livestock?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

thanks a lot al for quick reply, please can you suggest a safe dewormers to used in the main tank, and I will look for it in the pharmacies

Levamisole is the best all around dewormer IME and its tolerated by most fish... can be added to food or water.

Next up is fenbendazole added to their food....not the tank.

Flubendazole can be added to the water or food.

piperazine is used for nematodes and may be found where you are

Praziquantel should be availible where you ..its used in your area of the world to treat schistosomiasis.....its effective on some worms and reported to work on capillaria but I am not sure it does.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

al, you are the best in the world , I believe in my country we have all these treatments, but in another names, Levamisole is called zental as a market name, anyway I need the instructions to use it, the dose and how to please, thanks a lot bro

Registered Member
    Last edited by khaled; 09-17-2019 at 03:27 PM.

You can use either. The levamisole would be my first choice unless theres a huge price difference.

read this article..

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...ematodes.shtml

it will tell you about nematodes and the dosing of levamisole.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

both are very cheap, I will try levamisole as you recommend. If you please I have more question, I do WC 70% daily, and feed only my own BH mix, and clean the tank every time after feeding them, the tank is 80 gallon BB, and contain only 7 discus, nothing else, what can I do to prevent this disease ? thank you very much

You are giving your fish excellent care. Unfortunately, worms and diseases can never be irradiated, nor should they be. Pathogens always exist in or on fish. I'm of the belief that if the immune system has nothing external to keep it strong it will start attacking it's own body looking for a job to do. This is just my thought, not something that is proven fact.

Most often it is the most bullied fish that shows symptoms first, but as Al said all the fish are carrying it, just dealing with it. When you treat one sick fish in a tank, you should treat all of them.

What concerns me is that this is a syrup not a powder like we get in the States. Does the label give the inactive ingredients? If it's something to make it sweet tasting for human consumption I'd be wary of putting in in a fish tank. If the label says it's a fish med it's fine. The flubenol you have is excellent but it won't help you if you have a fish that is not eating.

I have a question for Al. When you saw the pic of the sick fish expelling white poo why was your first thought not hex. It was my thought. My rule of thumb is that a fish that eats but get skinny has worms and a fish that is skinny and doesn't eat has hex, especially when I see white poo.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

hi mama, thanks a lot for your valuable information, actually I have levamisole as tablets and syrup, it is cheap and high available where I live, it contain levamisole as HCL, I may taste it for any sweetener but I will use the tablets. all my fishes are eating very well, I was thinking that the white boob is because the overfeeding, the only symptoms of one fish is it doesnt grow normally, but it is very active and eat well, I think I have to use 300 mg for my tank, and I will do 70% WC after 24 hours, is there any other recommendations like turn off light or stop feeding them ? thanks a lot

Liz,
    I have a question for Al. When you saw the pic of the sick fish expelling white poo why was your first thought not hex. It was my thought. My rule of thumb is that a fish that eats but get skinny has worms and a fish that is skinny and doesn't eat has hex, especially when I see white poo.
    Thats a pretty fair rule of thumb. My reason for the worm diagnosis is largely gut feelings and experience but that feces doesn't look like hex.. its too solid and isn't white and slimy, looks tinged yellow which is often times a sign of capillaria worms. I also got the impression that the fish acts normal other than not gaining weight. Khaled came across as if this was a long term issue with the fish, but that hes at the point where he is concerned.

Best we can do is guess at this stuff based on our past experiences... Mine say worms.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by khaled View Post
    hi mama, thanks a lot for your valuable information, actually I have levamisole as tablets and syrup, it is cheap and high available where I live, it contain levamisole as HCL, I may taste it for any sweetener but I will use the tablets. all my fishes are eating very well, I was thinking that the white boob is because the overfeeding, the only symptoms of one fish is it doesnt grow normally, but it is very active and eat well, I think I have to use 300 mg for my tank, and I will do 70% WC after 24 hours, is there any other recommendations like turn off light or stop feeding them ? thanks a lot
    That the fish "he only symptoms of one fish is it doesnt grow normally, but it is very active and eat well" is a good indicator of worms.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

You do not really need to turn off the lights but medicating fish can sometimes make them jumpy. Lights out helps.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

thanks al, I already start the med. can I feed them during the med or not ?

Yes you can feed them if they will eat...sometimes they go off their food when dewormed with levamisol.. its temporary.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast