AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: growth retardation

Registered Member

Default Re: growth retardation

hi Al, how can I know if the treatments is going ok and my fishes are healed ? what if the dose is weak, can I extend it for another 24 hours ?

Registered Member

hi Al, first I thank you very much for your help, I done the treatment using levamisole for 24 hours, I notice that some fishes gill are open a little after WC. also I notice that the fishes look more colorful, but the are afraid and shy, I want to ask if I can add salt now to the tank to help the gill? also is it mandatory to repeat the levamesole treatments after 3 weeks or not ? thanks a lot my lord

Quote Originally Posted by khaled View Post
    hi Al, first I thank you very much for your help, I done the treatment using levamisole for 24 hours, I notice that some fishes gill are open a little after WC. also I notice that the fishes look more colorful, but the are afraid and shy, I want to ask if I can add salt now to the tank to help the gill? also is it mandatory to repeat the levamesole treatments after 3 weeks or not ? thanks a lot my lord
    Hi Khaled,
    lol,,,

on your ??? You really should retreat to be sure you killed all worms and to catch their eggs as well. Generally 3 treatments each 24 hours is whats used...or at least, its what I use. day 1 , day 7, day 21 or something close to that. Its normal for them to be skittish/shy after levamisole ...it will pass in a few days and they begin to act more normal. Its also common for them to look more colorful temporarily.

You also questioned how you can know if the worms are gone...Only way is to use a microscope and check their feces. Hopefully your sick one will starting having normal feces soon which would be a very good sign.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

This is the deworming procedure i'm following from Al's write up. You can combine with epsom salt and in your case, regular salt.

Week One: Many Frequent water changes, observe fish behavior, and treat for anything specifically noted******. Be sure all fish are eating well and passing normal feces.
    Week Two: Prophylactic deworming with Praziquantel for tape worms, several days later deworm with general dewormer (levamisole) added to water as 24 hour bath
    Week Three: Repeat Levamisole as 24 hour bath
    Week Four: Let rest, nothing but water changes.
    Week Five: Re-dose with Levamisole as 24 hour bath
    Week Six: Quarantine is over if the fish are looking healthy and eating well.
    Last edited by Mando; 09-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Registered Member

thanks mando for your contribution, thanks dear Al, so using sodium chloride (table salt) now is safe?
    combining levamisole with salt is ok ?

Registered Member

Hi dear Al , how do you do, again I want to confirm { you are the best } my friend, thank you very much, the treatment process is ok. feces are black and the fishes looking good. I used only one dose of levamesole for 24 Hours. I want to ask is it really necessary to use three dose or may be sufficient to repeat the treatment only one more time after 3 weeks from the first dose?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Hi dear Al , how do you do, again I want to confirm { you are the best } my friend, thank you very much, the treatment process is ok. feces are black and the fishes looking good. I used only one dose of levamesole for 24 Hours. I want to ask is it really necessary to use three dose or may be sufficient to repeat the treatment only one more time after 3 weeks from the first dose?
    repeat the doses on the 7, and 21st day. This is to catch any stragglers and any eggs that were left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    repeat the doses on the 7, and 21st day. This is to catch any stragglers and any eggs that were left behind.
    This is what I do too Khaled. If you don't you risk having to deal with this again in a few months and there is always the chance drug resistance will occur if you missed some worms that were a little resistant to the wormer.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

thanks brothers, I have one more question please, does levamesole treatment will cause permanent infertility ? I know my fishes are very young but I m sure levamesole effect temporary human fertility, so do I will get infertile fishes ?

No.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    No.
    short answer is a good answer, thanks dear Mama Bear

Thank you sweet khaled.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Is using epsom salt after levamesole bath important ? I was thinking epsom salt use only for constipation, do I need it for de-worming ?
    thank you all for your help.

khaled

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I doesn’t hurt to use it. Helps them expel the worm.

Registered Member

thanks brother, but I think some fishes have gill problem, so I prefer not to use any med increase the problem, does salts do ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast