ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Crossing different strains of Albino discus?

Registered Member

Default Crossing different strains of Albino discus?

Hi just curious if anyone out there has done or knows what happens if you cross breed different strains of albino discus? For example, like crossing Albino Leopards with albino colbalts or Yellows? Unsure in regards to how the fry would come out aswell, any help would be great!!

Default Re: Crossing different strains of Albino discus?

If you cross any albino with albino discus you will get all albino fry as the albino gene is recessive. To show as an albino(phenotype) it must have a double dose of recessive (genotype).This double dose is called homozygous vs heterozygous when they get a single gene for albino . The heterozygous fish would look normal but carry a recessive gene for albino.

As to what patterns they will have..Its the exact same as if they were not albino. Ex. An albino leopard crossed with
    an albino cobalt will give you the same patterns as a non albino leopard crossed with a non albino cobalt. The results will be here many turqish looking fish with variable patterns.. but one group will be albino and the other wild type..ala not albino.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images