ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: fish selection

Registered Member

Default fish selection

hi,
    first time posting, and soon to be first time discus owner....

i have been driving around town looking at local fish stores for (small) stock to choose from.
    first question i haven't see a good answer too is:
    I would like to have 2 different breeds, (a blue and a red) and it seams like i should have a total of 6 + in the tank, is it ok if I did 3 Red Melon and 3 Blue Diamonds? or do i need 6 of one breed?

I hear the you tubers talk about buying "too many" and then picking the best ones - they seam to find homes for the "not best ones" is that something I can do? am I paying for the fish and then giving it away? or can i recoup some of that money?

the other thing i noticed is the stock in stores varies in quality, I am looking for smalls - to see them grow up, if the fish in store has dark or poor colors, is that something that can improve? should I be worried about how the colors are on a 1.5 inch fish - or can i do things to improve their colors as they grow up?

thanks,

Default Re: fish selection

When buying small discus - choose ones with small eye to body ratio. There fins should be up and they should be begging for food. Look at the overall health of the fish. The fins should be "up" they should be active. Look for obvious deformities on the gills, mouth etc. Make sure they are breathing through both sides of there gills and watch them for 10 min or so to see if they scratch, flick or show signs of irritation.

The tanks should be clean, also look for other fish that are sick. One sick fish is enough for me to say no.

People buy extra fish when buying small ones because you really don't know what you are getting until the fish are about 4 inches. Up until then, they are still developing bones, shape and colours and could turn into something unexpected. For me its not an issue, so long as my fish are health and pretty I'm good, i don't need show quality fish to enjoy them.

Like any Cichlid, be wary of small fish with bright colours. They generally don't show adult patterns until they are 4 inches + and from what i understand it brightens and intensifies until about 2 years of age.

Hope this helps, and I really hope that you know what is required to add size to small discus.

EDIT - dont buy dark ones, they are stressed.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Registered Member

I visited the local fish store this past week. The price for 3 inch discus was $49.95. The fish were dark but active. For $49.95 I can find 4 inch from several of the forums sponsor/sellers and they have quarantined their fish prior to sale and will have nice photos of some or all of their stocks. There are so many varieties of Discus why not get a variety? Unless you have color preferences. To get an idea go to a the Kenny link. He will have 50 or more different most months. Dennis, Chicago, Champion, Golden State...there are a fair number to preview. Why would you want to have one or two of what may be over 50 varieties? The fish do not care what each other look like. Why not enjoy an assortment of colors?

Real Name
    Brian

I agree with peewee. If you are just beginning with discus, begin with healthy quality ones and many times LFS discus are less than ideal in quality and health. Since you will want 6 or more, you have more options...

Where are you located? Someone here may be able to help select a good seller.

Real Name
    Mervin

I been looking at discus in the LPS for the past 15 years. I have only come across nice quality discus in those shops just once in all those years. Once they get to a pet shop they seem not to grow out as well. And most start looking stunted in a short time. Start right make sure you buy healthy discus; a sponser would be your best chance.

Real Name
    Bill G.

I don’t know your tank size, if it’s cycled, sand or bare bottom, planted, dithers, filtration and all, but I’d suggest you buy as large a size Discus as possible within your budget and start with larger healthy developed ones. IMHO, 4 1/2” to 5” fish would be the smallest I’d start out with. And.....yes......go w the established sponsors here. Kenny is my go to source.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    I don’t know your tank size, if it’s cycled, sand or bare bottom, planted, dithers, filtration and all, but I’d suggest you buy as large a size Discus as possible within your budget and start with larger healthy developed ones. IMHO, 4 1/2” to 5” fish would be the smallest I’d start out with. And.....yes......go w the established sponsors here. Kenny is my go to source.
    I agree. At least 4 inches. That's small but they have had a chance to show a little color by then. I can only speak for Kenny as I have bought no where else. Kenny has a wide selection and a picture of each and every fish. I would like to buy something from the other sponsors but I am a loyal sort. One time I ordered fish from Kenny. He called me to confirm my order but made a recommendation to me. I ended up changing my order but what I got was a fish that was hand selected by him and it was beautiful. I tend toward the wild types and Kenny has the wild crosses as well. I am sure the others, Dennis, Chicago, Champion and Golden State are exceptional, but again, I began with Kenny and I am a loyal customer. The next time I ordered from Kenny he called me again. Told me about some fish that he seldom gets in...changed my order again and went with his recommendations. I think this happens because he knows me and my tastes so when he looks over my order figures that I am nuts and then tells me what I really want to order.

Registered Member

Stay away from discus in LFS. They are usually not good quality and not well cared for as states previously. Buy from a reputable source so you get a nice group of fish. Also, do your research on discus care, maintenance, feeding before buying them so they grow out properly. Last thing you want to do is spend a fair amount of money and end up stunting your fish. Enjoy your new venture in discus keeping.
    TONY

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Dennis at www.dennisdiscisfish.com is a site sponsor, has great fish, does great pre & post sale follow up, and just released a new shipment from QT for sale. He offers free shipping in the US for orders over $399. I bought my discus in Sept last yr and he still checks in every now and then to see how they/I'm doing. He won't let you down!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-19-2019 at 02:38 AM.