ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need some advice about water circulation/oxygen in tank for Discus and plants.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Need some advice about water circulation/oxygen in tank for Discus and plants.

So i have 2 Circulation Pump Wavemaker(I honestly dont know the GPH) and it doesnt really disrupt the tank and the circulation doesnt like push my discus away or other fish. When I do put them together straight forward to the tank, then the circulation is heavy and surprisingly my discus pair likes playing and swimming up and down with the circulation. I also know if they do breed someday then I don't want the babies to be push. So now I separate them to different areas so the current wont be too hard but I kind of want the circulation pumps gone so I can make the tank alittle more mellow. Anyway, I have seen most discus tank and I really don't know what people do for their discus, but I only use the circulation pumps for oxygen. If i remove the circulation pumps, will my tank have lack of oxygen? Do my plants(dwarf hairgrass, anubias, spikey moss, christmas moss) need the flow to survive?It is 80 gallon tank with plants, 2 canister filters, 1 uv light, and 2 heaters. I just want to know if there are another option I can do to improve my tank and get rid of the circulation pumps. I really dont want sponge filter because one I have sand and 2 the air pump is extremely annoying(sound wise). Any tips from you guys would be appreciated. Sorry I didnt take a picture of the 2 pumps, it is 3:34 am right now and I just did laundry.

Extra question: Do i need a filter for a discus breeding tank if I get to that point? When I set up new water for the new tank, do I just use my main aquarium water?
    Last edited by GqyForPay; 09-18-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Just more question and edit some stuff in

Registered Member

Default Re: Need some advice about water circulation/oxygen in tank for Discus and plants.

Wild Discus live in a river. They most likely are always swimming against a current. I use that premise for my fish. I have a strong filter flow in my tank plus a long aerator placed at one end of the aquarium which creates a water flow on its own. A few of the fish like to swim around in those bubbles. I turn the bubbles off at night. For the breeding tank you must have a filter system.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Need some advice about water circulation/oxygen in tank for Discus and plants.

I have never used a bubbler in any of my tanks or a wave maker. Well maybe, 45years ago. You should have enough surface movement for gas exchannge with a canister filter. You would be better off in a smaller tank for breeding purposes. I have just one filter on a 76 gal. that is way over stocked and it going good. The power was out 30 hours during Dorian and the fish didn't even notice it.

Real Name
    Willie

I use wavemakers in my large tanks (75+ gal). The smaller discus (2" size) don't like them, but the larger ones (4"+) love them. In general, all large cichlids do better with more water movement. Sure, the fish don't gasp for air so they have enough. But I find all large discus will be more lively and eat more vigorously if I use a powerhead or a wavemaker.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

I like a good amount of water movement at the surface also. I find canisters do this well if the out let is at or near the surface. I liked my old AC 110's for their efficency and easy to clean, but changed my tank to canisters to get more water movement at the surface and uses less equipment. I guess anything will work to make ripples to form more surface area for good aeration through the tank.

Real Name
    Filip

I doubt (not knowing your filters Gph and total volume turnovers per hour ) that you need any more flow than your current 2 canister filters provide in this tank .
    Like Mervin already said , just put the canister outlets close to surface and point them slightly upwards and youll get plenty of surface ripple and more oxygen in the tank .
    That's what I do too . I only use one 500 Gph canister for my 65 gallon tank and there is a lot of flow and movement in the tank .

Registered Member

For a 30 gallon tank what size for the wave maker and where would it be placed?