AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pork and Angel Hair Meatballs in a Rose Tomato Sauce

Default Pork and Angel Hair Meatballs in a Rose Tomato Sauce

Pork and Angelhair Pasta Meatballs in a Rose Tomato Sauce

This recipe is for meatball lovers who would really like to make a less compacted, softer, more tender, juicer and tastier meatball than they've made before.

I just recently developed this recipe, loosely based on what was a large, softball sized meatball dish that an Italian restaurant owner/chef and good friend of mine carried on his menu in the 1980's.

I will present this recipe solely to produce the meatballs and the rose sauce, leaving it up to anyone trying it to decide on what, if any, pasta they would accompany it with, or any other sides or other food items they wanted to serve as a complement to the meatballs & sauce.

This recipe should produce approx. 10 to 12 slightly larger than golfball-sized meatballs, and enough sauce for one 3-4 person meal dish. Suggest 2-3 meatballs per person to go with the sauce - freeze the residual number.

There are several key elements involved in making the meat balls looser, i.e. less compacted, than what is usually the case for most of us, as well supplying (imo) a juicier, more tender, and more flavorful meatball with a softer outside finish than would normally be developed upon cooking. I'll recap these elements at the end of the recipe.

The meatball ingredients:

- Approx. 1 lb. of pork sausage meat or ground pork. I used a small package of Johnsonville pure pork mild fresh italian sausage meat. It was a 375 gram pack, or just over 13 ounces of meat.

- A round quarter-sized quantity of dried angelhair pasta, broken in half, boiled to al dente condition - between 2 and 3 minutes only - and then cooled. Cut up into random sized pieces after cooling, about 1" long or a bit shorter.

- 1/2 small/medium size grated onion - (not diced or finely chopped, but medium shred grated, not large coarse shred, if you can so do).

Shred the onion over a bowl containing only the amount of panko bread crumbs listed below - this to catch as much of the onion liquid which comes through grating the onion to mix into the crumbs, to go along with the milk or cream mentioned just below for moistening.

- 1/3 cup of panko crumbs, to which you add a bit of milk or cream & mix in to moisten the crumbs.

- 1 or 2 garlic cloves skin on, slit in the middle with a paring knife & nuked for 30 seconds in the microwave. Remove skin, finely dice the garlic, and add to the onion grated over top of the panko crumbs.

- Add 1 egg, lightly beaten, to the other ingredients, along with:

- The sausage meat, crumbled up into smallish size chunks;

- All the cooled and cut up angelhair pasta;

- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley;

- 1/4 cup or so of finely grated pecorino romano cheese;

- 1 tspn. each of dry basil & oregano;

- 1/2 tspn. finely blended fennel seeds ( hope you have a small blender type to do this, or crush up the fennel seeds as best you can - this adds taste & a bit of sweetness to the meatballs - please don't omit);

- A good dash of each of salt, pepper, brown sugar, and hot sauce of your choice;

Gently & lightly mix all these ingredients together with a fork to approach what seems to be a suitably well arranged mixture. Careful not to overwork the mixing process - use your fingers at the tail end to improve the mixing until you're more or less satisfied with it. The less mixing you can get away with, the better of course. I know I don't have to say this to you experienced meatballers- LOL

Now gather the mixture into individual palm-sized amounts, and gently/carefully shape each into a ball slightly larger around than a golf ball.

On a small cookie sheet or other oven-proof container, lay tinfoil over the bottom and a suitably sized grating over it - spray the grating with veg. oil - don't overlook this.

Then place meatballs onto the grating and lightly oil spray the meatballs too.
    Bake in your 400 degree preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or slightly more, since oven heat settings can differentiate - (you know what I mean) - until the outside of the balls are just beginning to lightly brown up - this should have been enough time to cook the meatballs through.

Remove the meatballs from the grate right away, to cool and drip on paper towelling placed over a plate.

Here's a list of the combined items/prep work that will mesh together to assist in making the meatballs more loosely packed, juicier, more tender, and yes, even tastier:

- Minimal and gentle mixing and handling of the meatballs as they're made, put together, and baked.

- The addition of the cooked angelhair pasta throughout.

- Grating the onion & allowing it's juices to help moisten the panko crumbs.
    -
    - Baking over an oiled grate, oiling the meatballs very lightly, and baking at high heat for a shorter time.

- Using pork sausage, or ground pork.

- Finely grated romano cheese, and the beaten egg.

The Tomato Rose Sauce:

Ingredients:

- 2 - 2.5 cups of canned crushed tomatos and their sauce ( or your choice of store bought, jarred basil & tomato sauce, or marinara sauce, or chunky tomato sauce - go with what you like best)

- 1/2 cup of your favorite white wine

- 1/3 cup whipping cream

-1/3 cup chicken stock

- 1/4 cup of grated onion ( as above)

- 1-2 finely chopped garlic cloves

- 1 heaping tspn. of tomato paste

- 1/4 cup of finely grated romano cheese

- 1 tspn. basil ( best to use fresh, finely chopped)

- 1/2 tspn. each of the fennel powder ( as above), ground nutmeg, and brown sugar

- several drops of your choice of hot sauce

- Salt & white pepper to taste

Olive oil for lightly sauteeing the onions & garlic

Tspn. of cornstarch mixed in cold water, to thicken the sauce a bit if need be

Preparation:

In a medium to large skillet, on low heat, lightly saute the grated onion for a couple of minutes, followed by the minced garlic just to soften it a bit. Turn the temp up to med.-high, add the white wine, and simmer well till it's reduced by around 1/3 or so.

Add the tomato paste, followed by the crushed tomato(s) sauce, the chicken stock, the S. & P., the herb/spice elements, the sugar & hot sauce drops. Then add the grated romano cheese and the number of meatballs you intend to serve, and simmer on low for several minutes to heat the meatballs through while occasionally dousing them with sauce, before adding the fresh basil if using, and finally the whipping cream, mixed in well to reheat the sauce.

Add some water if the sauce seems too thick, or cornstarch in water to thicken if needed.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-18-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Default Re: Pork and Angel Hair Meatballs in a Rose Tomato Sauce

This looks fun and tasty. I don't have a microwave (well, I do but it's built in to be over the stove and it would cost over $400. to replace, so that nixes that). Could I drop the garlic cloves in boiling water for a couple of minutes, or put them in the air fryer or something else?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Looks good! I had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and been playing with making my own sauces. I may try this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    This looks fun and tasty. I don't have a microwave (well, I do but it's built in to be over the stove and it would cost over $400. to replace, so that nixes that). Could I drop the garlic cloves in boiling water for a couple of minutes, or put them in the air fryer or something else?
    No problem, Liz - finely diced raw garlic cloves will be just fine - they'll get cooked when you bake the meatballs.

Gotta tell you - I made this dish a few days ago for the first time and it was absolutely delicious. I was quite surprised because the meat balls were softer, juicier and more tender than what I expected, or what I've ever had before.

In fact, I loved them so much I'm having them again tonite with the rose sauce and mini penne rigate.

I just recently posted this recipe on Discuss Cooking forum & posted a pic of the finished product for the viewers to see.
    I'll try & post the pic here too, but would you believe, I've forgotten how. I may need help again.

Paul, the only way I know how to do it is to take a pic with my camera, transfer it to my photo editing software and then attaching it to a post here. If that's how you do it I can help. I have no clue how to do it from my phone. Until someone comes along who can help you more why not post the link here?
    Mama Bear

I've resized the photo using 'paint' - and it's a slightly larger size than say a thumbnail I believe, and still the upload failed - I don't know what to do (the pic is in my pictures library)

PM Pat. She helps folks trying to post pics all the time.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Do you have email? Just send it to yourself then save it. The email program resizes...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Do you have email? Just send it to yourself then save it. The email program resizes...

I did that Brian - when I sent it to myself (the attachment) I got the message " some errors occurred - try again ...."
    I've tried it 4 X now - same thing - it doesn't SEND

(the attachment did look the right size - so, if & when it 'sends' - will the forum's pic icon easily take me to my email ? how ? )

Meantime, (Liz too) - the photo of this meal that I cooked the other day can be seen on the discusscooking.comforum - under 'general cooking info' the 2nd section titled 'sub-forum - "today's menu" and click on 'what's for din-din tonite - Monday - sept.16/19' - it's in post # 8

Thank heaven - I finally got it

ATTACH]124960[/ATTACH]

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Looks good! I had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and been playing with making my own sauces. I may try this one!!
    Yeah Brian - sounds good to make a simple sauce for this dish from your own fresh tomatoes - just make it a bit 'chunky -lumpy' - (with small tomato chunks/pieces), and add the herbs/spices, other ingredients & cream as shown in my recipe, to make your own rose sauce - I bet it would be great !
    That's what I'd do if I had a garden with tomatoes growing in it - LOL
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-18-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Hurray! Success at last!

BUY, I visited the Discuss Cooking forum. I can see that you've been having fun there. Good.
    Mama Bear

I sold a bunch of fish to the LFS yesterday and took my $50. straight to the feed store 'cause my horse had slam run out of feed that morning. Today I did 2 dogs (one tipped $10.) so I decided to spend money on food for myself. I was getting tired of eating stuff I'd made earlier and frozen, so I splurged on myself. I bought all the ingredients I was lacking for the meat balls plus necessities like 1/2 & 1/2 and beer.

I already have enchilada filling and sauce defrosting. It should make 2, may be 3 meals. Your meatballs will be next. I can't wait! I'm very ready for something new.
    Mama Bear

Looking forward to your comments when you're done, Liz.

It's strange for you to stumble upon with a lower middle class lady with such good taste in food isn't it Chef Paul? I was raised upper middle class but I was the the different one who didn't care about money. I have good taste in everything. It's mostly a curse but sometimes a blessing. You save me a a ton of money by making me be able to make this good stuff myself.

You have made friends with excellent chefs from all over the world. You are most generous to share what you have learned with me.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast