ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bully discus

Registered Member

Default Bully discus

064A252C-64B9-448A-8CD7-3F3A141A4951.jpg

I have 3 discus and one of them is being a bully. I’ve tried rearranging the tank and adding more plants...... that has not worked! All 3 are juvenile. Someone at the place I got them from suggested that I add a few more. Right now they are in a 30 gallon tank. I do plan on getting a bigger tank, but it won’t be for at least a few months.

I do notice when the lights are off things calm down a bit and they all seem to sleep close to each other. But turn on the lights and the bullying starts all over again. The bully keeps the more timid one up in a corner. My third one seems to hold its own but is also getting bullied. I am more worried about the more timid one getting too stressed out!

The blue one is the bully. The red one in the middle is the one getting stressed out! And is the one I’m worried about.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do with this bullying problem, I would very much appreciate it!

TIA
    Last edited by Chimama; 09-18-2019 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Trying to add pic

Default Re: Bully discus

Larger tank and 3 more fish like you'd been told where you bought them. Sorry.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

The place told me the 30 gallon would be fine for awhile until they get bigger. I’m fine with getting more..... but I don’t want them overcrowded until I get a bigger tank for them. Which we will be doing but like I said it won’t be for a few months.

How large are the Discus?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

About 2” The orange one a little bigger than the other two but not by much

Real Name
    Mervin

Three young discus is usually a disaster for at least one of them. Maybe even two of them. Not a good number.

You can keep 5 2" fish in a 30 easily. Just change more water. I QT'd 5 adults in an uncycled 30 once. I just did 100% WC daily until the filter caught up with the bio load. After it did I was able to cut down to just 50% daily. I used aged heated water.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you!!!!

Registered Member

I just put my blue one who’s being the bully in the qt tank....... the one he is picking on is not getting any food! As soon as I took him out the other two are now out enjoying swimming around without being chased!
    I’m going to get a couple more discus this weekend! I just don’t know weather to keep the bully in the QT tank and put the new ones in with him! Or put him back with the other two and see what happens!

Put the new ones in first. Leave them in for a few days to get comfortable before you put the bully in.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Sounds like a good idea!!