ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Plant fertilizer for bare bottom tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Default Plant fertilizer for bare bottom tank

I’ve low tech 100gal BB tank with 12 discus and few plants like anubias and java fern. Their growth is very slow. I was thinking of seachem liquid fertilizer. Please share your recommendations and dosage.

I was also thing to add school of fish, what and how many would you recommend.

Filtration: Anaheim canester (2)

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Plant fertilizer for bare bottom tank

You don't need ferts in a low tech planted tank. It's called low tech for a reason. The plants you mentioned also do not need that much food; the fish waste will be enough for a low tech planted tank. I would recommend rummy nose tetras. Adding ferts and you'll just be adding extra nitrates along with the K and P and the plants are so slow growing it will be just a wasted efford.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Thanks for your response. My fishes on average s 5 inch. Do you think i’ve room for 10 tetras ?

Real Name
    Mervin

I would think if your footprint of the tank is just 4 or 5 feet with that many discus, then IMO I think your tank has plenty fish already. Not that the filters can't handle, but there's not much swimming room for them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Thanks , appreciate your feedback.Yes, it’s about 4 x2x2. With driftwood and plants it’s good to think about larger tank 🤪

Real Name
    Filip

Anubias and Javas are supposed to be slow growing plants . They both are heavy P And K consumers ,and theese usually lack in a well maintained and regularly WC -ed discus Tanks, so maybe you can have some visible benefit in dosing small amounts of P and K fertiliser.
    What kind and intensity of light are you using ATM ? Maybe you can benefit from 10-20% higher light intensity if your current is too dim .
    Tetra schooling fish less than 50 Pcs. in a 100 gallon tank would be very unnoticeable and not worthed the risk IMO .