ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water parameter perfectly fine even after not doing wc for three weeks

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: Water parameter perfectly fine even after not doing wc for three weeks

also formula misprinted though correct on calculation at end. x=y*d*1/w

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Water parameter perfectly fine even after not doing wc for three weeks

Does or can the formula factor in size & frequency of feeding? Or the bioload created by certain foods over others? Ie BH vs FDBW or flake/pellet foods? With all the variables that relate to how an individual hobbyist manages feeding can this really predict accurately?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

No, that was more of a for fun kind of thing derived from the charts and graphs. I guess that if you had a large grow out population and were already doing daily water changes but still unhappy with nitrate level you could use to determine what to change to get to desired target, but you are correct, this only is somewhat accurate in limited circumstances and if the type and volume of food were kept constant. Then again, that also applies to the graphs. The biggest take home for me was a reminder (even given the limitations of this tool) how fast bad things can accumulate. Even with weekly 50% changes at steady state, your substance level accumulates to ~14 times the daily production level. Filtration obviously affects that but then the open question is what is filtration missing. That is why I am so amazed at the relative stability of reef tanks despite infrequent water changes. I have been out for 35 years and feel like a dinosaur.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Ok gotcha Don, thx mate! Reef tanks amaze me as well, and when balanced correctly the water clarity is so wow factor 10...I guess it's all the little filter feeders that make it that way but I have never done a SW tank in 40 yes in the hobby.

Real Name
    Mervin

Salt water tanks have protein skimmers and live rock to filter the water and most don't have mechacnical fliters. Filters get dirty quikly and clean water is going through them making the clean water dirty again. Nitrites and nitrates in salt water is less toxic. Ammonia compounds would be more toxic because PH would be 8.4 or there abouts. I did not change a big volume of water when I had a SW setup. That was some time go.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

Thanks everyone. i will get back to my weekly schedule of water change

Real Name
    Brian

Don, Thanks for creating that chart. You have some patience there, lol. If you get really bored,maybe you can transfer into a graph, lol

Great visual!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12