pic of month     Aquatic foods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Shipment Tiger Turquoise

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Default September Shipment Tiger Turquoise

Long time Simply lurker, first time poster and buyer of Kenny's discus. What can you say about Kenny that hasn't already been said? He's the best and all the great things you read about him are absolutely true. It's not just his long time customers that get this level of service, it's EVERYONE. I can't recommend him highly enough and would order from him again in a heart beat. Managed to take a few pics of the fish that arrived yesterday morning before shutting off the light to let them recover, thanks for everything Kenny!

Name:  IMG_20190920_113635.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20190920_115726.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20190920_120153.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20190920_120157.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  150.5 KB
    Last edited by pantherlax; 09-21-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Re: September Shipment Tiger Turquoise

those fish will be most happy in that most excellent tank that you have there. Those beautiful and alert fish are a true representation of all that is Kenny. The tigers are high on my list along with the Mercury and Dark Angel. However, because I focus on their less colorful wild cousins I do not keep them. If you have a minute would you mind shooting an email to Kenny and let him know of your posting? He would most enjoy this.

Platinum Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Armando

Welcome to the forums! First time discus owner? Tank looks lovely and the fish look amazing! Kenny always delivers. Cannot wait to see them fully grown and colored!

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks for the welcome Mando! I've owned discus once in the past, but they were just lfs ones. These are my first high quality fish actually worth showing off. I waited and kept other fish in between until I could actually do it the way I really wanted to.

They are still skittish today (naturally), but once they get past the initial run for cover they start poking their heads out and eventually come right towards me as if to say 'who the hell are you and where is Kenny?' lol. Will update once they get settled and start putting on some size

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks peewee! I talked to Kenny yesterday to let him know the fish arrived and I would share with the crew here. Kenny is the one who actually picked out the Tigers for me. I told him I was looking for striated/spotteds and he hit it out of the ball park with these!

iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good. Nice clean set up. Doesn't look like you QT'd your new arrivals though so I sure hope your Cardinal's and Rams are clean...
    This is from Al's recent post on his observations over the years...it is point no. 1!
    1) People really do need to quarantine and should have a hospitol tank if they want to be in the aquarium hobby. We spend hundreds to thousands on our fish, filtration, food, electricity, water and time...and skimp on what allows us to properly keep our new and existing fish safe. Do not skip it, do not trust the seller to do it for you, do not do it for some fish like your discus but not for non-discus in the tank (many pathogens are not species specific). YOu will be happy if you follow this advice. If you don't you, well, thats going to be one of those regrets,
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-21-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Platinum Member
    iTrader

Awesome group of discus. I bought same ones a year ago at 4.5". These will grow fast. I have one probably over 7" now. Kenny is the best! He will answer and get you exactly what you're looking for!
    Enjoy them!!

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Dano, thanks for the feedback! You're 100% right, I am rolling the dice by doing this and will only have myself to blame should it go sideways. The other fish have been in the tank 90+ days so the discus are the x factor. But I'm under no illusions that this is an advisable way to do things.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Maddie, thank you! That's awesome, I'm really looking forward to watching these guys get as big as yours!! They are a little smaller than yours to start out so I know I have a ways to go

iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by pantherlax View Post
    Hi Dano, thanks for the feedback! You're 100% right, I am rolling the dice by doing this and will only have myself to blame should it go sideways. The other fish have been in the tank 90+ days so the discus are the x factor. But I'm under no illusions that this is an advisable way to do things.
    I hear ya mate. It's a tuff decision. Actually both your previous stock and your new discus could appear completely healthy but be carriers of something they're immune to but the others are not.

Recently I QT'd 2 separate groups for over 4 months apart. Both groups were super active, eating like pigs, growing like weeds, and for appearance sake, healthy. I decided after much deliberation it would be wisdom to do the hero fish strategy and so I put one fish from one group in with the other group. I was not expecting any problems. Within three days I had one dead discus and another 3 that were struggling badly. Fortunately I was able to treat and cure the tank, and then I treated the tank that the hero fish came from because clearly those discus carried something they were immune to, and I still intended to house them all together if i got through that storming phase. Ultimately I was able to combine all the fish together and everything was okay, but looking at both groups individually you wouldn't have thought that either of them was sick or a carrier of anything because nothing was clearly obvious.

I personally believe that many folks that don't quarantine there fish that end up losing the discus put them in the too-hard basket, but ultimately if appropriate quarantine processes have been observed the outcome would probably be greatly different. Al Outlined many of his observations over the past few years in his recent thread and it's well worth the read and for serious consideration as he's been around and seen and done it all.

I hope everything works out in your favor oh, I really do. Take it easy mate!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-21-2019 at 06:39 PM.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I hear ya mate. It's a tuff decision. Actually both your previous stock and your new discus could appear completely healthy but be carriers of something they're immune to but the others are not.

Recently I QT'd 2 separate groups for over 4 months apart. Both groups were super active, eating like pigs, growing like weeds, and for appearance sake, healthy. I decided after much deliberation it would be wisdom to do the hero fish strategy and so I put one fish from one group in with the other group. I was not expecting any problems. Within three days I had one dead discus and another 3 that were struggling badly. Fortunately I was able to treat and cure the tank, and then I treated the tank that the hero fish came from because clearly those discus carried something they were immune to, and I still intended to house them all together if i got through that storming phase. Ultimately I was able to combine all the fish together and everything was okay, but looking at both groups individually you wouldn't have thought that either of them was sick or a carrier of anything because nothing was clearly obvious.

I personally believe that many folks that don't quarantine there fish that end up losing the discus put them in the too-hard basket, but ultimately if appropriate quarantine processes have been observed the outcome would probably be greatly different. Al Outlined many of his observations over the past few years in his recent thread and it's well worth the read and for serious consideration as he's been around and seen and done it all.

I hope everything works out in your favor oh, I really do. Take it easy mate!
    Thanks for your best wishes! I do agree with you, most people who claim they are too difficult have cut corners similar to what I've done. And there are no guarantees on any fish, let alone discus. I've lowered my odds of success so I'll have to be even more diligent with their care going forward

iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

No worries mate.
    I would suggest having metro, furan and salt handy just in case. My discus that died succumbed in 72 hours, sooner than you can access most meds thru online shipping.
    I really like your tank, what size is it?

iTrader
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    No worries mate.
    I would suggest having metro, furan and salt handy just in case. My discus that died succumbed in 72 hours, sooner than you can access most meds thru online shipping.
    I really like your tank, what size is it?
    Will do. Salt is already on hand so that's one box checked.

Thanks, it's a bit of an oddball: 130 gallons 36" L 36" W 24" H euro-braced acrylic with a corner overflow & a 55 gallon sump. Original owner had it built for a reef tank

iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

Love those dimensions!! Square tanks are very sexy IMO

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

Amazing additions and lovely tank!!

I’ve belly flopped back into the hobby myself recently and just got fish from Kenny shipped today!! He really is the man! This is my third order over the years and he always slays it!

You have a great size tank and sound ready to go. We all battle the same at questions and issues. It’s def a gamble but I really hope the best for you! Excited to see yours grow. I need to make a post and we can watch the others group grow as time goes on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast