AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Discus + Planted - substrate

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus + Planted - substrate

Quote Originally Posted by janivr View Post
    There is no way you can keep an aquarium clean like Adrie (guy in the video) designed as there is no way to clean amongst the rocks without taking the rock apart and the underlying structure. I suggest you email him and ask how long that tank was setup. Many tanks like this are setup during a aqua-cape show then taken down a few days later.

My question for you janivr is have you keep discus before or maintained a planted tank? If you have done neither I suggest you get experience in both before trying to mix them and do a whole lot of research before attempting either one.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I'll ask him.
    I had both discus and planted in the past.
    In the past I was trying to grow them in a planted tank with not the best community.
    Now my goal is to get 5-6 adults and keep planted.
    My thought was, that it will be easier to clean the Sand part of the aquarium, where I'm going to through all food. If most of the food leftovers will fall on the sand it might be easier to keep a clean tank.
    The other option is to have all tank with only substrate no sand at all.

My question is, will it be easier to clean and maintain?

Thanks again

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The courser your substrate the harder it is to keep clean. Sand keeps everything on top. If you mix a substrate under the sand you generally end up mixing the two together if you push the gravel cleaner into the mix too deep.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-30-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Filip

Yes more sand area you have and less substrate area in your tank cleaner your water Column will be . It's proportional more substrate more area to fill up with gunk and debris .

Registered Member

Not on top. Aside

I have a planted tank, all my plants are potted and I use a fine gravel substrate, when I do a water change I don't just remove water I get down in the bottom of the tank with my phython and move as much gravel around that I can removing all l uneaten food and any thing else laying on the bottom of the tank

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mervin

In time the finer sand will end up on the bottom layer and the bigger stuff will be in top. With all the cleaning that will be needed it will in a short time not look like when set up. Like mentioned these planted tanks look good that you see on You Tube but don't look like that long. I remember when all my tanks were planted and would have them no other way. They change a lot over short peroids of time with trimming and such. Things changed up a bit when I got into discus. The WC's took place of the time invested in planted tanks. I do know that planted tanks with "adult discus" require a daily routine and you really need to syphon around the roots of the plants. I've always had low teck but did some with EI ferts. and worked well with discus.

Real Name
    Mervin

In the vedio on You Tube he puts mesh liner between layers, not good for a discus thank.

Registered Member

Adrie had this exact tank for more than two years before he sold it as is to someone else.
    It did work for him.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by janivr View Post
    Adrie had this exact tank for more than two years before he sold it as is to someone else.
    It did work for him.
    He should be the guy than ,that knows exactly what he needed in terms of cost , equipment and time to succefuly run a (discus I guess ? ) planted scape like that. Sound like asking him directly and taking his advices to heart would be your best bet . That's at least what I would do if I want to replicate a tank that I was inspired by.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234