AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What is this growth

Registered Member

Default What is this growth

Hi guys. I would like your help identifying the thing in the picture. It looks like a white horn that grows somewhere around the head and falls off in a couple of days leaving behind a hole in the flesh. I remember there being a similar fungal infection but the thing growing on my fish looks more solid than cottony

IMG_20190923_192322_1.jpgIMG_20190923_192524_9.jpg

Default Re: What is this growth

Thats a bacterial infection much like a pimple.. They often start in the pores on the fish. It will eventually rupture and when it does it will leave a small crater. Just like the ones that I see next to it above the eye. It looks like you may have some water quality issues? what do you do for water changes and what do you feed?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

You may also want to read this thread...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...esearch-(long)

and the links I put in it.

lastly use the search bar and search for "pimples" and "zits"

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thank you for the info. I got a bit worried because the pimples are always next to each other and its basically growing the crater. Yes, I presumed the water quality is a bit subpar, I can see it in the fish. Sadly, it's because, it's the main tourist season and I have to work all day every day and I couldn't keep up with my cleaning regime. Normaly I vacum every day and with a 100-200l drip sistem my water is pristine. For now I just vacumed and bumped the drip to around 500l per day and hopefully it will resolve itself. As for the food, I have auto feeders that feed tropical discus granules a couple times per day

Quote Originally Posted by Saguaro View Post
    Thank you for the info. I got a bit worried because the pimples are always next to each other and its basically growing the crater. Yes, I presumed the water quality is a bit subpar, I can see it in the fish. Sadly, it's because, it's the main tourist season and I have to work all day every day and I couldn't keep up with my cleaning regime. Normaly I vacum every day and with a 100-200l drip sistem my water is pristine. For now I just vacumed and bumped the drip to around 500l per day and hopefully it will resolve itself. As for the food, I have auto feeders that feed tropical discus granules a couple times per day
    One thing that may help those craters heal is to net the fish and swap the pits with hydrogen peroxide. Dab the pit first lightly with a dry twisted paper towel or qtip, then use another to apply hydrogen peroxide to just the pit. Repeat daily a few days.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Great idea, I have not tought of that. Do you think just adding salt or epsom salt would help?