ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Returning to the Hobby in Canada

Registered Member

Default Returning to the Hobby in Canada

Hello everyone, it is so nice to be back and having these beautiful fish in my life.
    It is amazing how many things come and go from our lives, and some things are just meant to be a part of who we are.
    I have been keeping fish for over 20 years. Nothing professional, no breeding. Just for my own personal enjoyment in our home
    Over the years I have gone between discus, to saltwater FOWLR, back to discus,, and then a reef tank.
    Saltwater tanks have been very disheartening, unfortunately I will not own one again. I had the pleasure of owning a clownfish that took to an anemone. What an amazing sight! But they both dwindled, and eventually died, just like everything else in the reef.
    As fish keepers we are invested in the fish that we keep. Not financially, but rather the time and effort that we put into keeping them healthy. It is our obligation, and our passion.
    Only a true discus keeper can say “ I love doing water changes!” Lol
    There is nothing more rewarding than seeing my fish swimming around, happy as ever after their water change. There are some days that I don’t feel like doing a water change, but I know it is what’s best for them !
    BTW… I am old school, and still do my water changes with 5 gallon buckets. I know, I know, crazy, right?! Lol
    Maybe you can all help with suggestions on how things are easier now.
    Several things have changed since I have kept discus. The resources and information that are available are incredible! I am so happy for this, and I’m so happy to be here
    Here are some of my particulars :
    75 gallon tank Discus-Only tank
    7 discus of varied strains
    7.4 pH
    Temp - 83.5° - 84°
    I use tapwater that I add a conditioner to, and a digital temperature reader for my water changes. No aging

My previous discus keeping involved the newbie desire to grow out juvies.
    With that experience behind me, my approach now is just to enjoy a beautiful tank of adult discus. My fish tank is the centrepiece of my living room, so I have it decorated with artificial plants and a fine layer of gravel that is easy to siphon, and still be aesthetically pleasing.
    I am so thankful for this site.
    - Andrea

Hey guys, how do add pics to my post? I’m one of those proud Mamas that likes showing their baby pictures

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Returning to the Hobby in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDeity View Post
    Hello everyone, it is so nice to be back and having these beautiful fish in my life.
    It is amazing how many things come and go from our lives, and some things are just meant to be a part of who we are.
    I have been keeping fish for over 20 years. Nothing professional, no breeding. Just for my own personal enjoyment in our home
    Over the years I have gone between discus, to saltwater FOWLR, back to discus,, and then a reef tank.
    Saltwater tanks have been very disheartening, unfortunately I will not own one again. I had the pleasure of owning a clownfish that took to an anemone. What an amazing sight! But they both dwindled, and eventually died, just like everything else in the reef.
    As fish keepers we are invested in the fish that we keep. Not financially, but rather the time and effort that we put into keeping them healthy. It is our obligation, and our passion.
    Only a true discus keeper can say “ I love doing water changes!” Lol
    There is nothing more rewarding than seeing my fish swimming around, happy as ever after their water change. There are some days that I don’t feel like doing a water change, but I know it is what’s best for them !
    BTW… I am old school, and still do my water changes with 5 gallon buckets. I know, I know, crazy, right?! Lol
    Maybe you can all help with suggestions on how things are easier now.
    Several things have changed since I have kept discus. The resources and information that are available are incredible! I am so happy for this, and I’m so happy to be here
    Here are some of my particulars :
    75 gallon tank Discus-Only tank
    7 discus of varied strains
    7.4 pH
    Temp - 83.5° - 84°
    I use tapwater that I add a conditioner to, and a digital temperature reader for my water changes. No aging

My previous discus keeping involved the newbie desire to grow out juvies.
    With that experience behind me, my approach now is just to enjoy a beautiful tank of adult discus. My fish tank is the centrepiece of my living room, so I have it decorated with artificial plants and a fine layer of gravel that is easy to siphon, and still be aesthetically pleasing.
    I am so thankful for this site.
    - Andrea

Hey guys, how do add pics to my post? I’m one of those proud Mamas that likes showing their baby pictures
    Hello, Andrea! welcome to the forums and welcome back to discus . The photos need to be <2mb. If you email yourself the photos, the email system will resize them for you.

Looking forward to pictures!

What Armando said...I'm as happy to see you here as you are to be here.

I would have answered your question earlier, but I only know how to upload pics from my camera so I couldn't. I may be a mod but I'm only valuable because I know a lot about Discus. I can't wait to see a pic of your tank.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Phil

Welcome back! I too am back in the game and need to post my new set up!

I echo many of the same sentiments that you express here!

Are you looking for suggestions to help or are you happy with how you are doing it and just saying hello?

My first suggestion would be get rid of the dang buckets! I was like you. Old school aka stubborn and didn’t like change.

Getting a mechanical pump of some sort and some of that new cheap and easy to use floppy flex hose stuff has been a game changer. It’s really worth the investment.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Welcome back both you guys, nice to see ya there Phillydubs, I'm still kicking it with the discus. The 125G is chilling with 10 discus from Han's and tankmates. Latest update on my tank: https://youtu.be/pofGxuR0VOg