ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tiny worms that are whipping.... any suggestions?

Registered Member

Default Tiny worms that are whipping.... any suggestions?

Hi guys! I’m new to the forum and have returned to discus keeping after taking a 6 year break from the hobby.
    I can’t figure out how to attach a photo or better yet the video of these tiny worms that are in my hospital tank. I will do my best to describe them.
    They are tiny, really tiny. About the size of a 3mm thin piece of thread. I can only see them at night when my tank lights come on and the rest of the room is dark. They float through the water, and then all of a sudden start whipping and squirming for a few moments, and then stop.
    I can’t find anything on the internet that looks like these worms.
    I’ve showed my video of these worms to my LFS who breeds discus and has for many years, and he says he doesn’t know. I find it hard to believe that he is unfamiliar with them, but I have dealt with him for 20+ years.
    Strange thing is that I have never had them in my tank either.
    I have another video that shows their “cocoon” on an artificial plant. You can see one moving inside until it is ready to hatch. I think these cocoons are on my sponge filter also. They resemble what an old, waterlogged bloodworm might look like if it was stuck to the side of the filter. As I was inspecting the filter last night one hatched and came whipping out of the side of the sponge filter.
    What are these things?? Anyone had anything like them?
    Please let me know if there is any way I can post my videos. I’m sure they would explain it much better.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Tiny worms that are whipping.... any suggestions?

Can you upload the video to youtube then post the link here? The worms sound familiar but not the cocoon.

Real Name
    Filip

I'm not sure about the cocoons either , but my wild guess would be that they are some life form similar to planaria , detritus worms or some other harmless creature that can pop out of nowhere in our tanks .

To upload a video you have to upload it on your YouTube channel first and then Paste the link from the YouTube video here .
    To upload Photo just press the third icon from the right on this dialogue box , the one with a little green tree on it , and follow the steps to upload it from the folder from your device - PC , laptop or Cellphone .

I'm very curious to see the little alien

Registered Member

Hi, and thank you for the quick replies!
    I have never put anything onto YouTube, I will see if I can get some help and get a couple videos on here soon.

Brian, if they email the video to you could you do the youtube thing and post the link. I want to see this strange creature, too!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Yes! I will send a PM but I will need a link