ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shameful but I'm considering it

Default Re: Shameful but I'm considering it

Think Mervin think

Jeanne

Yeah, I would love to see them, too. Think.
    Mama Bear

I for sure have the fever to do this. I hate when I get the fever to do something. When I get the fever I can't rest until it's done. It's one of the reasons I'm broke. Big deal. I'd rather have been happy in life than have money any day.

I will go to my LPS the next time Twee is there. Ken, her husband, knows that he is as honest as I am, but my connection it with Twee. I always love taking my free range hen's eggs to her because she thinks it's such a big deal. She is fascinated by my passion buy she doesn't use those words. She say's that she loves picking my mind. She's has started a couple of breeding tanks for her own enjoyment. Sometimes I can offer advise. When I can, I do. I enjoy giving help with what I know to who ever wants it

I want to tell Twee about my plans for a planted Discus tank. She'll be all over this project. I'll look at their pieces of driftwood. I have seen some good pieces there. Not what I see in my mind's eye for this tank, but perhaps I could work with them.
    Mama Bear

I for sure have the fever to do this. I hate when I get the fever to do something. When I get the fever I can't rest until it's done. It's one of the reasons I'm broke. Big deal. I'd rather have been happy in life than have money any day.

I will go to my LPS the next time Twee is there. Ken, her husband, knows that he is as honest as I am, but my connection it with Twee. I always love taking my free range hen's eggs to her because she thinks it's such a big deal. She is fascinated by my passion buy she doesn't use those words. She say's that she loves picking my mind. She's has started a couple of breeding tanks for her own enjoyment. Sometimes I can offer advise. When I can, I do. I enjoy giving help with what I know to who ever wants it

I want to tell Twee about my plans for a planted Discus tank. She'll be all over this project. I'll look at their pieces of driftwood. I have seen some good pieces there. Not what I see in my mind's eye for this tank, but perhaps I could work with them.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 10-02-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: I was stupid and posted it twice
    Mama Bear

I just realized that I already have the main driftwood piece that I want. It's big. And...it has java fern all over it, and much of the rest has some kind of green algae over most of it making it look 100 years old. It is a very large piece. It is waited where I have it, in my rainbow fish tank.

Patty shipped this large piece of wood to me for free. She actually had tape two big boxes together to send it to me. I had to tell her my plans for her piece. It made her happy. That piece of wood was important to her.

I'm not ready to get started on this tank yet. It will start soon. I have the fever. Once I have the fever I can't stop myself.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

In your shoes, I'd go with the sand, driftwood and plants on the driftwood, Liz. You can keep something like that very clean and adult discus don't need as many water changes as growing ones.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I know dang well what I "should" do, Willie. In this the case what I should do is not what I want to do.

I finally decided on rotted goat manure on the back and out to each side covered with PFS. I was leaning toward PFS but when I read this old thread I knew it's what I want to use.. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ol-filter-sand
    Mama Bear

Alright, I am totally watching this thread. Liz, very excited to see what you turn out! I know that you know that I knowingly am some what lackadaisical with my planted tank but I also really love sharing my screw-ups and dumb luck successes. So don't hesitate to get ahold of me if you have a few ideas and want o know if I have already done them and screwed up!
    Last edited by pastry; 10-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    -Elliot

I've got the opposite problem. My fish are in a decorated tank and they've started to spawn but I'd rather they focused on growth.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

IMO once they start they won't stop until they darned good and ready. As long as the parents don't raise kids the spawning shouldn't affect their growth.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I know dang well what I "should" do, Willie. In this the case what I should do is not what I want to do.

I finally decided on rotted goat manure on the back and out to each side covered with PFS. I was leaning toward PFS but when I read this old thread I knew it's what I want to use.. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ol-filter-sand
    I'm really curiuos about this tread too and looking forward to see how it developes. I have never seen a dirtied tank for discus but know that they work well with other species. In the link post #4, IMO would not be a good example of a planted tank. The plants indeed look like something is missing for good growth. Might be the sand suffocating the roots or a PH problem. Ph for plants range from 5.5 - 7;either side of that and plants can't use nutients to thrive. When I see a planted tank not growing well; my first question would be lighting and the second question what's the ph.

I moved my piece of driftwood from Patty to the 100 gallon and dug my goat poo yesterday. Today, I'll go to home depot and buy my pool filter sand.
    Mama Bear

Liz I'm not liking the goat poo ,for whatever my opinion is worth, I use a recipe from William Trickers, the oldest aquatic plant nursery in the United States, over 100 years old I will look for the recipe or you can go to their website.

Jeanne

Please go send. Don't worry about forts. Definitely want to help
    -Elliot

I took the plunge a few days ago and put my big Discus in the tank. So far they are happy, but I'm watching closely for signs of them being not right. Here's a few pics. The tank looks more well balanced when I put a big Bolbitis in on the other side to balance out the big Amazon sword.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast