ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus pair doing mating movements in community tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Discus pair doing mating movements in community tank

If I move the breeding pair to a breeding tank, will it ruin their mating? I don't want to disturb them if they are about to do it.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus pair doing mating movements in community tank

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    If I move the breeding pair to a breeding tank, will it ruin their mating? I don't want to disturb them if they are about to do it.
    Hi Donny, most here would suggest to leave them in the tank where they currently reside. If they are in a community tank then let them spawn in that tank until they get wigglers. Then move them to a breeding tank if you wish to raise the fry. The reason for leaving them is to strengthen the pair bond between the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus pair doing mating movements in community tank

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Donny, most here would suggest to leave them in the tank where they currently reside. If they are in a community tank then let them spawn in that tank until they get wigglers. Then move them to a breeding tank if you wish to raise the fry. The reason for leaving them is to strengthen the pair bond between the fish.
    Pat
    Agreeing with Pat but if practical you could leave the breeding pair in the tank and move the other fish to another tank. Another way to view this is if you had purchased a known pair from someone would that pair not be placed into a tank new to them when they were delivered to you?