ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pool Filter Sand (PFS) types

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Pool Filter Sand (PFS) types

I too cleaned the substrate regulaly even in non planted tanks for discus. Not for gas bubbles more so for anaerobic pathogens like Hex parasite build up. For some reason I find discus to be susceptible to Hex if you don't keep the substrate clean. Now, this has been my experience with discus both wild and domestic. The wilds seemed to do better in planted tanks becuase of the lower ph and smaller regular WC's. That is one thing planted tanks have to offer and that is a lower ph that discus thrive in. My planted tanks had PH of 5.5-6.7 which also keeps some pathogens at bay. I had planted tanks that didn't need that much substrate cleaning but weren't discus tanks. These days I wouldn't take chances with planted domestic bred discus and not keep the substrate clean because we can't buy antibiotics any more in Canada.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Re: Pool Filter Sand (PFS) types

Just wanted to say PFS is great but be careful as it can scratch the glass easily. I stopped using it when I bought my new tank. When I was using it I sucked out all of it monthly and replaced it with new sand. I found it holds a lot of gunk and it was just easier to replace it than trying to keep it clean.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123