AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Proper way to euthanize

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Proper way to euthanize

Hi, I have a 5-6 inch discus that has been headstanding for the last 6 months. He's very healthy otherwise, eats well and fights for food (wins most of the time). But he's not getting better and I'd like to replace him.

How should I put him down?

Thanks.
    Koji

75 gallon bare bottom, minimalist discus tank.
    16 gallon salty with way too many BTAs and 2 clowns.

Registered Member

Default Re: Proper way to euthanize

put the fish n a small container and add a few drops of clove oil .
    they will roll over in a few seconds .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I don't like to see or know fish are suffocating. My method is perhaps a little brutal but I bag the fish and smack it firmly on the ground. Dead instantly.

Real Name
    Brian

Actually, clove oil acts as a sedative so it doesn't really feel anything

Around 400 mg of clove oil per litre of aquarium water is sufficient to cause death in exposed fish. The clove oil should be mixed with a little warm water first before adding it to the water and fish slowly. Do not add all at once as fish get excited – add the clove oil mix over a 5 minute period.

When exposed to clove oil at this concentration fish quickly lose consciousness, stop breathing and die from hypoxia. Please note that the concentration of the solution must be appropriate and the fish must remain in the solution for at least 10 minutes.
    Last edited by jeep; 10-03-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I don't like to see or know fish are suffocating. My method is perhaps a little brutal but I bag the fish and smack it firmly on the ground. Dead instantly.

Oh Danny, I do it in exactly the same way. I've said so on the forum before. It is the most instant and humane way. But is sounds so violent. I'm trying to cultivate a kinder gentler persona. (it may not work, but then again, no harm in trying)
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Personal choice, while being humane, is important for we each are different. I use the clove oil method. When I had show chickens, I hated the act of chopping off heads or the neck twist, so I developed a gentler method. I’d spray some ether onto a paper towel in a baggy and closepin it over the head. In a few minutes it was asleep and minutes later dead. Chopping the head off of a five time champion bird seemed brutal and I wanted it to pass with dignity and not as much upset for me. I guess I’m kinda the same with the fish........some of my koi I’ve had for twenty years. When we have had to put our dogs down, we both hold, talk to, pet, be in view, and have a hand near his nose so he, with his last breath, knows we were right there. Btw....we were there and we were crying our heads off. Some people just hand the dog to the vet and walk away......that’s not for me.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice to know I'm not alone Liz...I guess it's the inner goth in me

Real Name
    Shan

Damn guys this is some dark stuff. Part of the hobby I guess

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Personal choice, while being humane, is important for we each are different. I use the clove oil method. When I had show chickens, I hated the act of chopping off heads or the neck twist, so I developed a gentler method. I’d spray some ether onto a paper towel in a baggy and closepin it over the head. In a few minutes it was asleep and minutes later dead. Chopping the head off of a five time champion bird seemed brutal and I wanted it to pass with dignity and not as much upset for me. I guess I’m kinda the same with the fish........some of my koi I’ve had for twenty years. When we have had to put our dogs down, we both hold, talk to, pet, be in view, and have a hand near his nose so he, with his last breath, knows we were right there. Btw....we were there and we were crying our heads off. Some people just hand the dog to the vet and walk away......that’s not for me.
    I had to put a friend of a friend of a friends dog to sleep because they were too attached and didn’t have the courage to go through with putting it down. The dog was suffering immensely so I offered to take it to the vet. Needless to say, It was my first time experiencing this and the vet offered me to stay or go. I decided to stay. I kneeled, hugged the dog and gave her little kisses on her snout as he injected her. I never cried so much for an animal and it wasn’t even mine. But I know she felt loved when she took her last breath. And I knew that her suffering was over.

Now you're making me cry.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mervin

Nice to know I'm not alone Liz...I guess it's the inner goth in me
    You're not alone.

I'm curious here if you still have this fish and want to try one last ditch effort, what are you or were you feeding.

Jeanne

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

@Sturiosoma, the day after posting this I put him down. I feed my discus variety of food. Flakes, pellets, crisps and beef heart mix twice a week. The way I put down my fish is to put it in a Ziploc bag and put him in a freezer. I don't think this discus had a disease because he was headstanding for so long and he still looked fine and eating well. I took a video of him just before I put him down.