AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Tank For My Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    peter

Default New Tank For My Discus

I am considering a new Red Sea Reefer XL model as my new discus tank. It is 149 gallon system. 108 gallons of display and 31 for the sump. My intention is to grow plants as well as keep the discus. Has anyone had experience with this rig? I want to make sure the filter is conducive to growing plants.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: New Tank For My Discus

Peter filtration type is of little relevance so long as it is cycled and producing nitrogen and your pH is <7.5 it will grow plants. Of course lighting is important depending on the light requirements of the plants you choose. High flow filters with lots of surface movement aren't great if you're using CO2 but you didn't mention using it so I won't go into it here...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: New Tank For My Discus

I purchased a Red Sea reefer about a year ago and I have my regrets. The redsea tanks are very deep but I prefer a tall and wide tank for discus.I'm not a fan of the skimmer being in the middle and it utilizing part of the tanks internal space; I prefer an external skimmer possibly off to the side. The skimmer being in the center creates flow issues and my discus run into the skimmers edge when they get startled. The sumps flow is not optimal for sponge pads, even thought I have sponges in mine. The two filter socks are a major + and the flow reducer to the sump is AMAZING. I've never had a quieter tank. The redsea tank does not come with a lid, however, they do sell a DIY kit that you can easily assemble. The glass is very clear and I love the black silicon.

These are my pros and cons as a discus tank. For a reef tank, this thing is a BEAST of a tank. If i'm not mistaken, even the XL comes without a pump. I use the reef octopus 2 pump.

For the money, I'd go another route for my next tank.