AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: so close but not close enough

Registered Member

Default so close but not close enough

I have 5 pairs of discus each pair in their own 40 gal tank one pair is a proven pair that once had wrigglers. I have been trying to have them spawn they do the dance and sometimes will peck on the cones. So close but none have laid eggs lately. My tds is 40 the ph is 7.5. They get water changes every second day of 25% and the temp is around 84. They are fed brine shrimp, white worms, red worms and frozen blood worms. It seems I just need one little thing that I am missing to push them into spawning any ideas would be greatly appreciated thank u

Default Re: so close but not close enough

Sometimes pairs just take a break. I find it a good clean-up on the fish if it's been a while since I've done one.
    Mama Bear

What are you feeding, conditioning is very important no matter what species of fish you are working with

Jeanne

Real Name
    Bill

Try a water change with some cooler water, say room temp or in the mid-70s, and let it come back up to where you keep it. People report this "rain event" will sometimes trigger them. Maybe a higher percentage of water changed would help, too.

The old saying - If you change nothing then nothing will change.

I'd try altering temps, feed types and frequencies and the water change schedule. Mess around with them a bit.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

That's what I think. It's why I'm going to put my Discus in a planted tank. I have yet to get the tank changed to a tank with substrate and plants but I'm working on it. I'm hoping they'll get in the mood 6 months later when I put them back into a BB. Heck, I've tried everything else in my arsenal.
    Mama Bear