ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What type of lighting effect do discus feel relax in?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default What type of lighting effect do discus feel relax in?

72092266_2143733259264982_517205038435663872_n.jpg71586617_493536094831526_3611720153340837888_n.jpg71323579_379397659633051_878708836557389824_n.jpg

I just got the Fluval Aquasky for like 100 dollars at Petco(if you guys are interested it is on sale reg. price is like 145) and I have been testing out different variety of lightings and just wanted to know your opinions on what color is good for discus to feel relax in and also can potentially mate under it too. I used orange because I tried to make it feel like their natural habitat but was wondering if anyone tried other colors to make their discus breed or feel comfortable. I also would like to know if Raining/Lightning effect would promote then to breed or it will scare them. Would appreciate the help. Sorry about the bad photo i tried to take a clear one but they kept moving and also water marks on the glass. They be flicking water when they go up.

Default Re: What type of lighting effect do discus feel relax in?

Disco lighting

Jeanne

Real Name
    Shan

I am also curious. What about Juveniles?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I avoid the bright lights. I can change the setting on my Finnex so I drop the whites about 2 clicks and since I mostly have blue's, I up the blue to get the water the blue tint.

However, the lights are off during 9am to 5pm as the room has a lot of windows and they get natural light. This keeps my tank spotless from algae.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

In my experience wild discus prefer dim light. I tend to use the sunrise setting which is dim and warm. The storm/cloud settings makes them go hide.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Yeah, they prefer the shade. I got some bannana plants and let them grow to the top and form lily pads. I've noticed my tend to hand out in the shadows they cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    In my experience wild discus prefer dim light. I tend to use the sunrise setting which is dim and warm. The storm/cloud settings makes them go hide.
    Pat
    Pat are you using finnex and if so which one, and is the sunrise a gradual on gradual off.

Jeanne

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Pat are you using finnex and if so which one, and is the sunrise a gradual on gradual off.

Jeanne
    It is a Current product Jeanne. It is called the "Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light" and looks like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7OTF9E...00C7OTE0O&th=1.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

Lighting is for the hobbyist, not for the discus. I keep my lights off unless I'm in the fish room. Discus behavior is exactly the same whether the lights are on or off. I use a Finnex light from Chicago Discus that really makes the colors pop.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.