AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Better Debris Vacuum Needed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Question Better Debris Vacuum Needed

I use a python to try to vacuum debris. It hardly picks up anything. I also use a separate hose with a manual suction pump, but it too leaves debris behind. Is there anything that you are using to clean a BB tank that is effective? I would appreciate any specific suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Default Re: Better Debris Vacuum Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Papa59 View Post
    I use a python to try to vacuum debris. It hardly picks up anything. I also use a separate hose with a manual suction pump, but it too leaves debris behind. Is there anything that you are using to clean a BB tank that is effective? I would appreciate any specific suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    Hello Papa, what is the hose diameter? I use a python and it is way too strong. I also have the mini vacuum version and that one works great. Try using a larger diameter hose than one you are using?

Real Name
    Tom

My favorite vacuum for BB tanks is PVC pipe in the hose it fits .The bigger the tank the bigger the pipe up to 3/4 inch..
    I cut a small angle on bottom of pipe and watch out for fish ! I have 3 different sizes not counting the rigid airline on airline for fry tanks ..

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

A former discus nut, Tom, built this 1/2" "wand" that is connected to a 1/2HP external pump. The only adjustment I made was to switch the hose on the intake side from flexible to rigid as the power of the pump semi collapsed it greatly reducing flow. Great for cleaning BB tanks, nothing lose escapes it's sucking power and drains a 75 gal in <5 mins. I reverse it to refill from my aging barrel. A 90% wc on my 75gal takes about 12 mins total.
    MVIMG_20191004_183126.jpg

I use something similar but I use a larger diameter hose. My hose is 1" ID.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Would not a larger diameter reduce the power of the suction? I need stronger suction power.

Yes, it would.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill

Unless or until you decide to attach your python to something suggested here (all good ideas), you can do what I do: get my siphon started with the gravel vac attachment in place, and also use that to keep the thing underwater in the tank with the lid closed when I'm moving around, or to set a maximum drain level, but then otherwise, when actually cleaning manually, simply twist off the attachment under water and use the flexible tubing on its own to pick up waste.

Otherwise, something rigid that is the same diameter as the python--I think it's 5/8"--or something close to that should work better for you, as suggested above.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Excellent idea. I should have thought of that. Thank you.

Real Name
    Dave

I use a 3/8 inside diameter clear rigid tube about 2.5 feet long attached to a clear flexible tube. It will cut holes in plant leaves with its suction.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    A former discus nut, Tom, built this 1/2" "wand" that is connected to a 1/2HP external pump. The only adjustment I made was to switch the hose on the intake side from flexible to rigid as the power of the pump semi collapsed it greatly reducing flow. Great for cleaning BB tanks, nothing lose escapes it's sucking power and drains a 75 gal in <5 mins. I reverse it to refill from my aging barrel. A 90% wc on my 75gal takes about 12 mins total.
    MVIMG_20191004_183126.jpg
    You don’t play! I, too, use a pump to dump the water back into the tank but I have always used gravity to pump water out. What external pump do you use? I may steal your wand idea.