AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need to sell a group of Discus > advice?

Registered Member

Default Need to sell a group of Discus > advice?

Hi All, I unfortunately need to sell off my group of discus due to work commitments and looking for advice on how to best sell them (hopefully as a group)? I have never sold discus before so looking for advice. Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Need to sell a group of Discus > advice?

Try Craigslist.

My LPS buys the ones I no longer want.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Where do you live?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Where do you live?
    Toronto Canada

Real Name
    Bill

Welcome to Simply Discus!

Honestly, I don't think it is that easy to move a group of discus but there are some variables that probably will make a difference. Since you're in an urban environment with I imagine some good LFS (local fish stores) and now you're here, you may be able to connect with other hobbyists who appreciate discus and would be willing to give them a go.

There is a section on this forum (or two) for buying and selling, but shipping is often required and that can be an obstacle. (You also need to be a member, as I recall, to post ads.) I think another part of it is that if serious hobbyists have tank space (usually we've filled it up and then some), there is a tendency to look for a special strain, a particular pairing, etc., and many who are newer might want to have an opportunity to at minimum select for themselves what they want to include in a group from a reputable importer. So demand can be hard, but you then again, all you need is one person!

So, I think the first thing I would do is reach out to anyone local you know who is into fish (ideally discus), and maybe put up a Facebook marketplace ad or a word in with any decent quality fish shop. (They might help connect you to any discus people they know, especially if they aren't set up to take the group.) Ideally you'll have an idea of how the health and quality of your fish measure up to what is available on the market, and then it's a matter of priority when it comes to price. If you want the whole group to go together, you probably want to offer well below retail, but doing this probably has the best chance of insuring a decent life going forward. Ideally whoever decides to jump in will be willing to quarantine them and learn about how to best care for them, etc.

Sure you can't manage them with some work travel and such?

Real Name
    Mervin

Try kijiji. Lots of fish on that site for sale and rehoming.

And Aquabid. You can say "for pick up only" in your ad.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm still trying to rehome them on Kijiji. What's a reasonable price to ask for a group of six adult discus at 6" in size?

Real Name
    Daniel

Strains? Got any pics? Quality & availability drives price when there's multiple buyers, but if you're in a discus dessert for hobbyists whatever someone is willing to pay to move the quickly vs them getting sick and dying in your care if you can't manage to give them the care they need.
    On CL I recently sold 7 x 5-6" good quality adults for $420. The buyer drove 6hrs each way, but I waited nearly 6 wks to make the sale. Had all kinds of low ball offers...

Registered Member

Strains? Got any pics? Quality & availability drives price when there's multiple buyers, but if you're in a discus dessert for hobbyists whatever someone is willing to pay to move the quickly vs them getting sick and dying in your care if you can't manage to give them the care they need.
    On CL I recently sold 7 x 5-6" good quality adults for $420. The buyer drove 6hrs each way, but I waited nearly 6 wks to make the sale. Had all kinds of low ball offers...
    You can see some photos here and strains: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1465611272

Real Name
    Daniel

Says the ad is no longer available. No worries, I was gonna take a stab at their value is all...

Registered Member

Says the ad is no longer available. No worries, I was gonna take a stab at their value is all...
    oops it's this link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fish/city-of...lts/1480859429