AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Aging

Real Name
    Frank

Default Water Aging

I thought I might post my sad story. I was always going to "get-around-to-it" and set up a water aging system for my 75g tank of discus. I have had some PH issues with my local water but nothing serious. Yesterday, I did a 40% WC. Nothing unusual about that, 3-4x a week. I came back with all my 2 year old discus shedding, gills inflamed, head standing, breathing heavy. I ended up with 5 of 8 dead. It was miserable to deal with and watch. I am thinking about getting rid of these at my LFS whenever Al has another discus sale to start over. PLEASE don't do as I, and put off (or think unnecessary) a water aging system. With only 3 I probably will begin more aggression.

What recommendations and equipment would you have to get to set up such a system. I really don't want to drill in my wall or floor. Of course, I don't have a lot of space. It would either go in a closet (mold issues?) or bath. Perhaps beside the tank depending on the size (40g??).

Registered Member

Default Re: Water Aging

What dechlorinator were you using, if any?

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    What dechlorinator were you using, if any?
    Prime

Real Name
    Willie

I use a 2-tier approach with fish tanks on the top and similar tanks for aging water on the bottom. Your footprint would stay the same.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

How do you go about doing a water change, straight from the tap, and what is your water source, municipal, well, other.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Bill

So sorry to hear about your losses. That's terrible. Good of you to try to use your bad experience to counsel others who might be deciding how to get set up and thinking about what either they need to do, or they might be able to get away with.

For me, the aging barrel and the long hoses with pump are not that much fun. But one gets used to it, and it sure beats the alternative you describe. I added a sediment and carbon prefilter to my setup as well.

Brute trash cans work well, certainly in bathrooms and probably in closets too if there is some duct work blowing air in there or at least some ventilation. I use one with a lid on top of some rigid foam. Nice to keep them on tile or concrete if possible, as sooner or later some water ends up on the floor. They can be set up on rollers, too, though I just use a long python hose with mine.

I thought about using a more decorative rain barrel in the living room near or next to my tank. You can make those look like planters if you are more creative and motivated than I was. Willie's use of another aquarium works, too.

Personally, I don't get pH swing, but I do get winter microbubbles and have also had the dreaded seasonal issues with my water, maybe from extra chlorine or chloramine dosings from the town water folks, I don't know. But I have seen my fish in a bad way after a water change before, and for reasons I wasn't sure about. Not fun. I really like having the extra insurance that comes with the barrel, and would encourage newbies not to skip this step when planning things.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Prime
    When I use Prime I dose at 5 mL per 10 gal. I would at least triple dose Prime.

Real Name
    Frank

Water source is municipal. I guess that they upped the base (>7) in order to protect the piping during the winter months. That gave too much of a PH swing which crashed the tank. PH crash also affects other aspects of water chemistry. Although sadden, it's a lesson worth learning going forward. It was at their expense, however.

As far as the water conditioner, I think that was fine. I usually dose to double dose Prime anyway.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    So sorry to hear about your losses. That's terrible. Good of you to try to use your bad experience to counsel others who might be deciding how to get set up and thinking about what either they need to do, or they might be able to get away with.

For me, the aging barrel and the long hoses with pump are not that much fun. But one gets used to it, and it sure beats the alternative you describe. I added a sediment and carbon prefilter to my setup as well.

Brute trash cans work well, certainly in bathrooms and probably in closets too if there is some duct work blowing air in there or at least some ventilation. I use one with a lid on top of some rigid foam. Nice to keep them on tile or concrete if possible, as sooner or later some water ends up on the floor. They can be set up on rollers, too, though I just use a long python hose with mine.

I thought about using a more decorative rain barrel in the living room near or next to my tank. You can make those look like planters if you are more creative and motivated than I was. Willie's use of another aquarium works, too.

Personally, I don't get pH swing, but I do get winter microbubbles and have also had the dreaded seasonal issues with my water, maybe from extra chlorine or chloramine dosings from the town water folks, I don't know. But I have seen my fish in a bad way after a water change before, and for reasons I wasn't sure about. Not fun. I really like having the extra insurance that comes with the barrel, and would encourage newbies not to skip this step when planning things.
    Thanks Bill. What size Brute trash can do you use? That setup is what I have been thinking.

Registered Member

Frank
    How long do you age your water?
    Reason I ask is that it sounds you pumped into the tank with out letting
    all the gas bubbles out and your fish simply suffocated.
    Jay

Real Name
    Bill

Frank, I've been using the smaller of two options, which I think is 32 gallons. (Let me check... yup, that's it. And actually, I see they have both a 44, which I remembered, and also a 55 came up in Google as well. That's new for me.)

If indoor space is at a premium, I definitely think you can get away with the 32 gallon, especially if you don't usually have pH swing and you're only or primarily servicing one 75-gallon tank.

I sometimes wish I had a little more to work with--maybe a second barrel, maybe a bigger one--but that's because I am now using it for 3 tanks--a 90 and two 40 breeders all with discus in them, at least for the time being. I can do what some call "speed aging" by doing one 50-70% water change in the morning and another in the evening for each of the two smaller tanks, which have new or young fish in them, and my adults get whatever I can do about 2-3x per week and don't mind anymore if some or most of their replacement water is not well-aged (though it does go through my prefilters and gets some degassing falling into the barrel before getting pumped to the tank.)

Anyway, you can easily do 50% 2x/day (if necessary if you grow out in the 75) with 12 hour aged water with the one small barrel.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Bill. You have been very helpful.

Real Name
    Frank

Is there a necessity for a heater in the barrel? I have read on this site that a drop in temps periodically is good?

Registered Member

Heating the water to aquarium temperature ensures there's no excess dissolved gases coming out of solution when added to the tank.

A heater is most certainly necessary. I keep my Discus at 83 degrees and heat my water to at least 80. An occasional large swing is temp of OK (and sometimes useful once in a while, but the fish will suffer if that's the way you do it all the time.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast