ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean water for discus

Registered Member

Default Clean water for discus

Hi,
    I've been reading lots of information on this forum, and I have a couple of questions.

Discus need clean water.
    Most of the time people share the percentage of water replaced and how often they do WC.

Is there a definition to how clean the water should be rather than WC regime?
    What are the required water parameters for adults, sub adults or smaller discus?

Thanks

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Clean water for discus

That's a very broad question. They are many different set ups, sizes, bioloads and water chemistry in different areas; just to name a few. Generally nitrates are to kept under 5 ppm, unless you already have them in your water supply and nothing like plants/resins to foul up the nitrate indictor. Large more frequent WC's keeps not only nitrates in check but also every other thing like ph stablility and waste. The young discus may not have a good immume system yet and frequent WC's at this age is good so they won't become ill and hender growth.

The most important thing is that the water params remain constant. That's why it's necessary to test your tap water so see whether or not you pH changes when you compare it to aged water. I have a .4 pH swing in my water. At first I thought that was not enough to matter, but after time I saw that it was indeed stressing the Discus so I started aging.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

So, the parameters are not important?
    What makes the water clean by replacing them?
    Thanks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nitrates should be kept <5-10 max. Water should be changed regularly to keep the total dissolved solids and bacterial counts at a minimum. Adult discus can handle higher nitrates, TDS & bacterial counts than fry, but it still places them at risk of weakened immunity & disease. The bare minimum approach usually results in a steady climb in unmeasurable dissolved organics and the first thing you notice is sick fish because the water "looks" clear.
    From my reading here fry do best with 50-200% wc's daily, sub adult with 50-100% daily, and adults with a minimum of 50-100%/wk.
    Water volume, feeding schedule & food types, and stocking density are all factors that need careful consideration.
    Oh, and as Liz mentioned, checking your tap water for pH swing is also very important when planning your WC schedule.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 10-09-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks, this is very helpful.
    I know how to measure nitrates.
    How do I measure solid dissolved and bacteria counts? What are the required levels?

Thanks again

Real Name
    Daniel

You can measure TDS electronically, but I don't know of a simple at home way to measure bacterial counts, hence the need for a regular wc schedule that matches your water volume, fish age, stock density, and freq & type of feeding. If you post here those different factors we can give advice regarding an appropriate wc schedule

Registered Member

Thanks,
    Is there a formula for calculating the WC schedule?
    What should be the tds values?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Daniel

No formula that I know of, just the above-mentioned suggestions. TDS values vary depending on the above mentioned variables, AND what your starting TDS is of your source water.

Registered Member

Water changes are mainly for keeping your nitrates in check. However, as fish excrete waste and other things, pH can be reduced depending on the general and carbonate hardness of your water, ie. it's buffer. TDS is a quick way to get a general sense of this buffering capacity, but it is not exactly accurate, hence why a gH and kH test is best. For example, my TDS is 95-105, but my hardness is at 1. Whereas, someone else's TDS could be at 60 and have a hardness at 5 or above. I would suggest you keep track of your tank parameters and get a freshwater master kit from API, there are others, but this one has pretty much everything you need. Just be prepared to shake your forearms off and get have a kitchen timer handy. Track the nitrate from after a water change to when it gets to 10 ppm and then do a WC. Then rinse and repeat. Maybe it's a day, maybe a week, who knows. It'll depend on many factors. After a couple of weeks doing this, you should be able to get your WC schedule. Also, test the pH, gH, and nitrates of your dechlorinated tap water out of the tap, and then again after 24 hours of aeration. This will ensure your tap water doesn't add nitrates to your tank and throw off your schedule. And give you an idea of the stability of your tap water. And finally, welcome to the hobby, it's fun and you'll learn more about water than you ever thought necessary. Hence, the old adage: You don't keep Discus, you keep water!

Registered Member

Thanks, for the detailed explanation. I feel I know much more now (and still have a long way moving forward).

Real Name
    Daniel

If you are planning to grow juvenile discus to maturity check out the grow out challenge so see the actual effect of people's wc schedule in the growth and health of their discus.
    Wc's are not simply about nitrate management, it is a whole water management strategy. I had discus get pimples when my nitrates were <10 in a low stock density 125gal tank where I fed deer heart 2-3 times daily. My situation wasn't caused by nitrates, but rather other dissolved organics that adversely affectes my discus's health

Registered Member

Hi and thanks
    Hopefully I will get adult discus.
    What parameters affected your discus if not the nitrates?
    Thanks again

Real Name
    Daniel

I started with adults as well, good choice.
    Unmeasurable dissolved organic waste was my problem.

Registered Member

Is it something you can measure? what parameter it affects?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast