Cafepress Store     Cafepress Store

Thread: Gelatin or Agar Agar

iTrader
    Real Name
    Brian

Default Gelatin or Agar Agar

I've always used shrimp as the main binder for the food mixes I make with good success, but with the most recent recipe I made it seems to fall apart a little more than usual. This is because I've made changes based upon a recipe that uses raw mussels. Due to the cost, I kept the main part of the recipe and omitted the mussels in favor of BH and additional shrimp.

For those who use gelatin in your food mixes, how much do you use or how do you measure? I've also been considering the plant based gelatin Agar Agar.

Anyone use either of these? I'm making about 10+ pounds.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Re: Gelatin or Agar Agar

I use agar agar in my mix and it’s definitely better than gelatin IMO. It doesn’t dissolve as easily as gelatin in higher water temps, holds the mix together much better, and has a higher nutritional value as it’s derived from seaweed. The more agar you use the firmer the mix. I usually make about 2 pounds at a time and I put in a couple of tablespoons, mix well, spread it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick on a wax paper or parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees to activate the agar agar. Comes out perfect every time.
    TONY