ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hole In The Head ID. Should I be panicking?

Registered Member

Default Hole In The Head ID. Should I be panicking?

My discus fight a lot. Eat vigorously. Poop is thick and black. And are growing rapidly. All are from the same source "Stendker" and purchased in two batches and have been growing rapidly.

Largest female and male Face and Body. All 8 of my discus arrived with this pattern and this pattern or holes are in the exact same position on each of the discus.
    Imgur link because the file size is too large: https://imgur.com/a/cRXS4wW

There are no visible signs of illness and lot of sparring between them. WC is 3X weekly turning over 100% of the 450L. Food is mainly fish mix and beefheart and their colors are getting brighter. However I got some advice that this is HITH disease.

Please advise.

Edit

Some low quality pics of one discus when I first got him/her. You can see some of the holes present from day 1 QT

Last edited by Rolla P; 10-09-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Hole In The Head ID. Should I be panicking?

If you mean the symetrical holes on each side of the snout, and they're the same on every fish, I believe they're called nostrils

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    If you mean the symetrical holes on each side of the snout, and they're the same on every fish, I believe they're called nostrils
    Did you look at the imgur gallery I posted? I've singled out two of my blue diamonds faces below.

https://imgur.com/ojLIkKR
    https://imgur.com/oNJw0vz

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I did. Still reckon they're nostrils

Real Name
    Mervin

Should be nostrils like mentioned. Water goes in and out of them at separate holes (so there's more than one hole, same organ) and can get HITH if the water is not kept clean or the fish has a nutrient issue.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Should be nostrils like mentioned. Water goes in and out of them at separate holes (so there's more than one hole, same organ) and can get HITH if the water is not kept clean or the fish has a nutrient issue.
    Please excuse my misunderstanding here but do discus have more than two nostrils? Does Hole in the head take the same "pattern" and "placement" on each discus? I'm asking because the potential holes in the head appears to be placed in the exact same position on each of my discus. Also are there any other symptoms that accompany HITH that I should be looking out for?

Here's one of the same discus from the side. Please download and take a look I don't want to lose any of these Discus because of a precaution I didn't take...

Real Name
    Brian

I see what you're talking about. Nodules, I think they call, them??? Your discus look quite healthy with nothing to be concerned about. Actually very nice!

If you search around the forum or google for HITH, or spell it out, you will see what HITH looks like.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I see what you're talking about. Nodules, I think they call, them??? Your discus look quite healthy with nothing to be concerned about. Actually very nice!

If you search around the forum or google for HITH, or spell it out, you will see what HITH looks like.
    Thanks Jeep!

Nodules? I will look into this. Initially I didn't think it was cause for concern because the Pattern / Nodule / Holes are in the exact same space on each discus and I figured disease doesn't have that type of uniformity and placement. I will get a pic later today of the largest in the tank and see what everyone thinks.