AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Low profile inline pump.

Registered Member

Default Low profile inline pump.

I have an automatic water changing system on my 75g that is set on timers and float switches. i currently use a large 1/2HP sump pump to drain it. It is rather unsightly. I would like to replace it with something low profile.

1. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-...6?recordNum=37
    2. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobal...iABEgL7VPD_BwE

These are the only two pumps that I could find. Would like to know if there are other options out there.

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Low profile inline pump.

I don't have one of these, but have thought about getting an external "transfer pump" for moving water out of the tank (and back in) more quickly. If you had one of these sitting outside of the tank that you could hide somewhere, would that work?

There are a bunch of these on different hardware-type sites, from 1/10 HP to 1/2 that can be had from around $69-$169, depending on size, etc. I wonder if people who have these as opposed to submersibles are happy with them.

Real Name
    Mark

One thing to pay attention to is how high it will push water, or head. The pump from BRS lists 210gph, but that is with zero head. At the 3.5 ft it will be at a trickle. I use both internal and external pumps in my setup. Just remember the higher and the more bends in your plumbing the bigger the pump you will need.

Registered Member

I like the transfer pump idea. Will look into it.

Registered Member

Can I place the transfer pump on the floor? Does it automatically break siphon when turned off? Or will I have to drill an opening in the PVC import to pump at the highest point to break siphon?

Real Name
    Bill

That's a good question--I'm still curious if there are people out there who use these and like these pumps, as even for manual (non-automated) water changes I think they could be helpful for draining in some situations (i.e., bottom rack tanks and draining into utility sinks.)

Since I haven't used one I can't say, but if I were you I would go ahead and drill a siphon break either way. Even if there is a check valve or something built in, those things can fail, especially if they're under pressure for long periods when the pump isn't in use. No point risking it when you can have an easy fail safe built in.