AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Converting salt to freshwater

Registered Member

Default Converting salt to freshwater

Got a 90g half cylinder wanting to convert from salt, to freshwater...discus...had to reseal it. Question is can i just scrub a little, pour some vinegar in it, let run with the magnum 350 for a few days to get rid of salt residue? I used afi silicone...cured for two days now.

Registered Member

Default Re: Converting salt to freshwater

I may add it has a built in overflow....

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Salt residue will not bother your discus. Strangely they are very tolerant of high concentrations of salt for short periods of time. I recently successfully treated for a mystery pathogen with 1tbsp/gallon. I cannot imagine how your residue quantity would be anywhere close to that concentration.
    Give your tank a good flush out with fresh water, fill er up, get it cycled and you'll be good to go!

Registered Member

The residue not that bad, curious on whats in the built in overflow. Thats why i was wanting to just scrub and run it with vinegar. The filter is an old magnum 350 canister. I was going to run it bare, no media. Just didnt know if running tank with filter would get rid of what i can see...half gallon vinegar and 90g of water , run a few days and rinse be good enough....or just let it run a day or two with no vinegar?
    2 days for silicone be ok to fill it up?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I'm not a silicone expert but I think it takes a week or more to cure. Was it a superficial reseal on the joins for a leak or did you have to do a structural reseal?
    If you want to clean out the overflow and do a sterilization of sorts on the tank I would use hydrogen peroxide instead of vinegar. You can buy commercial grade 29%. If you throw a gallon of that in fill er up and run it your whole system will get purged by it's oxidizing effect. After a day or 2 simply drain, refill and begin your cycle!

Registered Member

It was just a leak, top front seam. Applied a two inch long seam. I scrubbed a little on the overflow, what i could get. Just want to make sure the salt residue is out of tank, and filter....