AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What spot on Discus's right gil?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default What spot on Discus's right gil?

I recently noticed my discus has a white dot near his right gil. The right gil isnt moving/not breathing so I dont know how this happen. I was wondering if he is hurt or is he sick? He is still active.

20191014_011605.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: What spot on Discus's right gil?

I would do a wc and add salt @ 1 Tbs / Gallon. Can you list your water parameters?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It's hard to see clearly, but it looks like a discus pimple, which is a superficial bacterial skin infection. They don't usually cause gill clamping though, so as Mando suggested plz tell us about your water parameters and water change routine. The pimples are usually a sign of deteriorating water quality and increased bacterial counts. I agree with using salt, but would start 2-3tbsp/10gals and do 75% water changes daily with aged, heated water for a week, replacing the salt with each change.
    When my fish had the pimples it resolved quickly and showed me that I needed to do larger or more frequent wc's.

Real Name
    Matt

Hi, I have the same problem. It has 2 pimples and isn’t hungry. I am moving her and her partner out to a 36g tomorrow. I don’t know how to post a question though. Can someone help me post a new thread? Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    It's hard to see clearly, but it looks like a discus pimple, which is a superficial bacterial skin infection. They don't usually cause gill clamping though, so as Mando suggested plz tell us about your water parameters and water change routine. The pimples are usually a sign of deteriorating water quality and increased bacterial counts. I agree with using salt, but would start 2-3tbsp/10gals and do 75% water changes daily with aged, heated water for a week, replacing the salt with each change.
    When my fish had the pimples it resolved quickly and showed me that I needed to do larger or more frequent wc's.
    PH: 7.4
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:10
    GH:6
    KH:6
    Temp: 84 degrees
    Every other day, 75% water changes, with Safe water conditioner
    I don't aged my water, I just put the water in and use Safe while doing it.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    I don't aged my water, I just put the water in and use Safe while doing it.
    I do this also for one of my tanks with no issues. Water looks good. I would use Danny's dosage of salt. I gave you a stronger dose that helps in severe cases. Your case is not severe at all.

Real Name
    Daniel

Are your nitrates 10 before or after your water changes?
    How long has the tank been set up? How long have the discus been in there?
    What is the pH straight out of the tap?
    Throw a series of daily 50% wc's since you don't age your water. Do the salt as I mentioned ealier.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Are your nitrates 10 before or after your water changes?
    How long has the tank been set up? How long have the discus been in there?
    What is the pH straight out of the tap?
    Throw a series of daily 50% wc's since you don't age your water. Do the salt as I mentioned ealier.
    Nitrates after. 2 months set up. Discus been there for a month and his female partner does not have the problem or the other corydora. 7.2 straight out of tap and after 7.4. I will try to do the salt thing. Will it be a problem his right gil is not moving? He just randomly had it yesterday.

Real Name
    Daniel

0.2 pH swing is ok, may stress them a little with 75% wc's but if your nitrates are 10 after a 75% water change then It means they're 25-30 before which is way too high. You want them to 10 or less before your WC. If you have adult discus >5" you could back off your feeding, or else increase your WC frequency to daily and drop back to 50%. If you can't make either of these 2 adjustments your discus will continue to struggle in the long run.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 10-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.