ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Pimples and Not Hungry

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Pimples and Not Hungry

There is nothing wrong with blood worms. Compared to black worms, either wet or dry, black worm have twice the fat, but just about the same protein content. Blood worms are not used as much because a lot of folks are allergic to them. I use freeze dried blood worms; not wet that is mostly water like live worms and I find it conditions them for breeding mood if fed every day. I use it once or twice a week just for extra protein.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    There is nothing wrong with blood worms. Compared to black worms, either wet or dry, black worm have twice the fat, but just about the same protein content. Blood worms are not used as much because a lot of folks are allergic to them. I use freeze dried blood worms; not wet that is mostly water like live worms and I find it conditions them for breeding mood if fed every day. I use it once or twice a week just for extra protein.
    Thanks bluelagoon, that’s what it thought. I bred a different pair with just BWs. I had this pair breeding but they broke up... , is that hat possible or are they still a pair that I can get breeding again? Let me know please, I actually thought about force pairing but I am not sure how to do that. Any info will help. I have 3 discus in my show tank r now, one 6” and two 5”. I was thinking of pairing them up. I have a spare 27g that I have cycled and setup and can use for breeding. I would like to get a different pair spawning. My dream is to have a small “farm” with two or three pairs.

Should I try repairing the broken up pair or should I try pairing my beautiful 6” with my female 5”. I do know the genders of my 5” but not sure about the 6”.

Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

I will post a picture shortly of the blue one, I was actually wondering if I could put her in with the red ones? Would it be a good idea to breed her and the red Marlboro if they pair off? I have identified her as a female. She shows all body signs of a female, I may be wrong though, I will add pictures shortly. Let me know if red and blue will be a good mix or if I should stick to blue and blue. Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

#1 the 6” female
    #2 the 5” male
    #3 the 5”female
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

If you look at my profile picture it is of the 5” m and f, they got to wrigglers. Should I try them again? They look very nice when they are breeding. Or the 6” female with the 6.5” Marlboro male? Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

The red pair honestly don’t seem interested in each other anymore. They swim at opposite sides of the tank, show no signs of “love” and don’t pay much attention to each other. I will try force pairing my red male with my blue female. I want to see what will happen. I know a lot will be peppered but I do want to try and get a new strain. I will cull the peppered ones and keep the pure ones. Should I do this? The male looks like he wants to breed but the sick female is not interested. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Bump. I know that you can’t always be on here every minute but I need to know because I am moving my aquariums/setting up and I need to know who I am going to breed. Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Ok, I have moved the female red to a 27g by herself and moved he blue female in with the red male. They seem to really enjoy each others company. He is showing off and swimming after her very dominantly. Is he showing off or being aggressive? He is way brighter and his fins are erect. Is it normal for him to chase her and “flare”? Thanks
    Matt

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Your red is a PB and you blue is non PB. This is not a good pairing genetically and you will likely end up with very peppered fry which are undesirable. If you want to have your small "farm" for the purpose of selling fry this pairing would be a lot of work for little to no return as anyone who knows anything about discus would not buy their fry. I don't mean to be negative but just being truthful. Your red pair may still produce the goods and are by far better quality fish than your 3 Turks. They're showing no interest because the female is try to get over a major injury/illness. Time, clean water and good food is what they need. Discus do not like being alone. Your red female will suffer by herself.
    Matt you seriously are rushing into this without really knowing what you're doing, and your lack of patience is gonna bite you in the bum mate. If your red male does bond with the blue female he may never go back to the only decent female you have to breed him with. Just sayin...

Real Name
    Matt

Ok. I will move him back with his wife. I read a little online and I now agree. Thanks Danny.
    Matt

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Ok mate, cool. Keep an eye on the blue now as whatever pathogen attacked your red female may have been passed to your blue female from the red male. Prob need to watch them all closely for a while to make sure the Turks don't get cross contaminated. Good practice is to keep fish apart for a minimum of 6 wks after they have recovered from illness so just be watchful Matt.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Daniel.
    Matt

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011