ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Pimples and Not Hungry

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Pimples and Not Hungry

Here we go again, she is doing amazing. Not hiding no heavy breathing. The wound has closed up inside. Look for yourselves!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Real Name
    Brian

Great job! Keep it up and be careful treating the wound. Even netting can damage the new tissue.

I would still run the antibiotics when you get them. Kanamycin is really good for internals issues.

Real Name
    Matt

Umm... I didn’t actually order Kanamycin... it was $54 for two 5g “bottles”. What should I do? Is it okay if I dint get it or is it necessary? Thanks!
    Matt

Real Name
    Brian

You were very lucky to have caught this very early and flushing the wound has greatly improved its chances. My main concern is if the wound traps any dead tissue or bacteria inside, it may return.

I would personally treat with antibiotics but they aren't that expensive here either. 10 grams doesn't seem to be enough to run a full course and stopping too soon can make things worse because the bacteria can become resistant. Is this pure Kanamycin or Kanaplex?

It's a tough call to make on someone else's behalf. Were any of the other meds available to you? Penicillin, amoxicillin, tetracycline?

At the end of the day, if you feel you are seeing positive results then you may want to stay the course. Remember, this is a nasty wound and it will linger for some time even if appearances don't show it. Just make sure the water is nearly clean enough for you to drink from

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Pretty sure the 5g jars he's talking about were kanaplex off amazon. The additional expenses was import duty bringing it into Canada and shipping. Kanaplex is weak, only like 30% pure. Don't waste your money on it.
    If you can get kanamycin or 1of the other antibiotics Jeep mentioned I would go for it as well. Otherwise keep up with the water changes and salt at 6tbsp/10gal, but start backing off in the salt after 7-10days, as in replace 1/2 the previously dosed amount each water change until your back to no salt.
    Hope it all works out Matt!

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks! I can’t get Kanamycin so I will just stick with my routine right now. I came back from school today to a wonderful surprise. Her wound has started growing back/filling in! It’s looking really nice and it looks like it’s normal scales/coin except with an indent. There is a lot of new growth that I am seeing and I am overjoyed to see how fast she is recovering. Despite not thinking she would make it, I tried my best and the results are very positive so far! Here is another picture. I hope you don’t mind me updating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Forgot to add, she is eating well and they are happy and healthy. Is it normal that they don’t eat in front of me but when I “hide” in the room they devour everything? The walls of the tank are covered. I think she is doing great and I am thankful for all of your guys’s help. Thanks again
    Matt

Real Name
    Daniel

Looking great Matt! Keep the updates coming. So glad all is going so well mate.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Danny !
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

The wound has almost filled in now, looking great. I will upload the picture ina. Day or two
    Matt

Great news.

What we worry about is that the pathogen could still be under the skin in the very bottom of the hole. I'm telling you this because although we all hope it won't happen the pathogen may become active again. I hope it doesn't happen. You've worked very hard on this fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

Indeed, her hole is basically filled up last time I checked. When do you think it would be okay to start breeding them? I originally bought them to breed same with the 33g but this happened, I’m not saying that I’m annoyed, things happen that you can’t control. I’m just wondering in how many days I can begin breeding attempts.

I would like to know, please answer as best as you can, how do you activate the breeding mood? I had a pair that would spawn in an Angelfish community tank without me doing anything while this pair is showing no wish to spawn right now. Should I increase feeding? What else can I do? Roobios tea? Thanks

Matt
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Bump.
    Matt

Real Name
    Daniel

Matt are they a confirmed or proven pair? My pair would breed every 5 days or so until they started getting wigglersbthen it dropped back to every week or 2 until I had to sell them. They were in a 125 gal tank with 6 other adult discus and I never had fry attach is why they bred so frequently.

Real Name
    Matt

Hi Danny, they are a confirmed pair. They always hung out together in my show tank and when I was buying them. In this tank, the male always shields her when I try to come and check out her wound. I bought them as a proven pair but have seen none, if any, spawning moods. They just hang out together and always swim where their mate swims. I did buy them from someone with city water but my water is well water and the pH is pretty high, same as the KH but the GH is very low.

What should I do?
    Matt

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast