ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pimples and Not Hungry

Default Re: Pimples and Not Hungry

.2 is fine. Post a pic when you can.
    Mama Bear

If you think the problem is bacterial you can treat the entire tank with a 2ppm of 3% Hydrogen peroxide for 12 to 24 hr and then do a 50% water change and another 50% water change the next day

Jeanne

Real Name
    Matt

How much is 2ppm?
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

First, I only have outdated 3% hydrogen peroxide. Second, here are some photos, it would be wonderful if you help me identify this. By the way, she had two smaller pimples on her head this morning and after the water change they are now gone. Is this thing also a pimple? It looks sort of fungal but not exactly like fungus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi DiscusDish, this looks like Hole in the Head. Do you have metro and epsum salts available?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry to miss this thread but Pat directed me to it. I think the #1 issue in the beginning was over stocking and minimal water changes. These factors may have improved, but possibly a little late. Judging by the last photo's, this was most likely a minor bacterial issue that has evolved.

At first, I thought you may have a cross contamination issue, and that may still be a possibility along with secondary issues. Treating with metro and salt at 1 TBS per gallon with daily 50% water changes with aged water for 10 days may hopefully clear this up, but with the large infection I would also suggest netting the fish and dabbing the wound with peroxide or iodine if you don't see improvement within 2 or 3 days. If it continues to grow the I would treat with EM, Oxytet or Furan 2.

Keep us updated with photo's when possible...

Didn't I recommend metro at the start of this post? I assumed that DiscusDish had already treated.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

Lightbulb Re: Pimples and Not Hungry

I hadn’t, because i didn’t think it was necessary. But now I guess it is. Here is what I think:

It is definitely not hole in the head because I have had other discus with hole in the head and it looks nothing like this. The white stuff had fallen off the wound when I turned on the lights this morning. Should I just stick to water changes or should I use metro as well? I will try to use some peroxide but is it okay if it is a bit outdated? Here is a new picture

Oh my god it looks really bad. What do I do?! She literally has crater in her head that is red/bloody! I will treat with metro+ ASAP and peroxide, I will also do a major water change right now.

Please help. Can I still save her?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

By the way, check out this thread. A well known member on fish lore had the exact same thing happen but they only did 90% daily water changes. I think peroxide might help though. Look at post 16# on here: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...discus.309625/
    Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Is it okay if I treat with metro with her mate still in the tank?
    Matt

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I would do exactly as Jeep (and previously Liz) suggested. Metro will not harm the other discus. I have dosed salt at 1tbsp/1 gal myself at Jeeps direction. It seems a lot of salt but they did fine and it's only shirt term. Netting the fish and cleaning the wound with hydrogen peroxide 3% will help with the external part of the infection. Start now! Every moment lost is a moment the infection goes deeper.

Real Name
    Matt

Ok, got it. Just dabbed the peroxide, I will now get the metro from my medicine cabinet. Thanks for your help guys I will give daily updates.
    Matt

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I read through that post...most of the initial advice was to treat for hex which is an internal parasite. The squiggly lines poking out of that discus were pimples, no doubt, which as you have discovered, can lead to HITH. Raising temp with a bacterial infection is bad advice as bacteria colonize faster in higher temps. Anyway, you do need lots of clean water but that fish will probably die if you don't treat the infection.

Real Name
    Matt

Okay, I will lower the temperature from 88oF to 86F. Is this good? I am adding salt right now, metro+ had been added. I will do daily 75% water changes. Or should I do two 50% water changes daily? Thanks
    Matt

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Didn't I recommend metro at the start of this post? I assumed that DiscusDish had already treated.
    It was pretty late and I kind of skimmed over the post. Mine was just a general report in agreement with previous suggestions

I'm concerned about this wound. If this was caused by an internal infection that worked its way out, then large water changes are very important because of the amount of bacteria being pumped into the water. Again, your water should be aged to reduce stress. I would also definitely use an antibiotic stronger than metro at this point. Do you have access to some of the meds I mentioned earlier, or even better yet Kanamycin? EM is about the only thing I can think of that's available in many pet stores.

I've seen a similar wound before and the outcome was not good. While yours may not be the same thing, it can work its way back into the fish if not treated with a more powerful antibiotic.

I would also lower the temp to 82 or even 81 to help reduce the bacteria growth.

I'd like to see a close up of this straight on if possible.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast