ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus laid eggs!!!

Real Name
    Tanja

Default Re: Discus laid eggs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That should be OK. Do you know your TDS?
    It's 138 out of the tap. In the tank it's 240 due to evaporation and seachem prime, I think.

That's a little high. Normally the TDS should be below 90 for eggs to hatch. But every water is somewhat different there are no hard and fast rules. They'll lay again in a week or so. Let us know how the eggs look after 3 days.

I always assume that people want to raise fry. If that's what you want to do, you may need to mix RO or rain water with your tap. If not your water is just fine.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tanja

That's a little high. Normally the TDS should be below 90 for eggs to hatch. But every water is somewhat different there are no hard and fast rules. They'll lay again in a week or so. Let us know how the eggs look after 3 days.

I always assume that people want to raise fry. If that's what you want to do, you may need to mix RO or rain water with your tap. If not your water is just fine.
    That's what I thought. I don't know why the TDS is so much higher in the tank than it is off the tap, the general hardness and carbonate hardness are the same in both. Perhaps more water changes?

I may wish to raise them at some point in the future so I'm definitely happy for all the advice you gave me. Thank you so much!

How often do you change water and how much at a time. TDS is total dissolved solids. Detritus of any kind in the water is a dissolved solid. Is your pH lower in your tank than your new water change water?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tanja

How often do you change water and how much at a time. TDS is total dissolved solids. Detritus of any kind in the water is a dissolved solid. Is your pH lower in your tank than your new water change water?
    Well I had to put crushed coral into my filter because the pH was dropping from 7.6 to 6 in a day. My carbonate hardness was so low. Now it never drops below 7 even if I go a week without water changes. I've been changing 30% a week as was recommended by my breeder. I'm guessing that's not sufficient?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

How many fish are in the tank mate? I had 7 adult discus alone in a 125g and changed 66% every 4 days with heated aged water. The day after each wc 1 of the 2 pairs spawned.
    Once the one pair was proven (wigglers) then they would spawn the wc after they ate their babies...

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    How many fish are in the tank mate? I had 7 adult discus alone in a 125g and changed 66% every 4 days with heated aged water. The day after each wc 1 of the 2 pairs spawned.
    Once the one pair was proven (wigglers) then they would spawn the wc after they ate their babies...
    LoL I had it happen too. Ate their eggs both times they spawned. I have 6 in a 90 gallon but I'm having to get rid of at least one male. Too much aggression since have 2 females and 4 males.

I stopped aging water since my ph remains constant either way. Are there other reasons for aging water?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

That is very fortunate. Do you get microbubbles on the glass when you fill straight from your tap? That would be another reason to age water.
    I have a >0.4 pH swing and microbubbles when I fill direct from the tap which makes it necessary for me to age my water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12