AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: When will they breed?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default When will they breed?

It's been a month and they havent been doing the deed. All they do is heavily shimmy and doing mating calls and I want them to do ittt. I try to change their daily feeding and do water changes at least 75% every 2 or 3 days since I dont feed them heavy. I just want them to not stress after a water change or feel like the water change disturb their mating call.20191016_003000.jpg

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: When will they breed?

Hi, the mating calls should mean that they will lay eggs soon. Have they cleaned the cone at all? Here is a nice blog from another forum that helped me get my discus to spawn: https://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-t...eggs-4105.html

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDish View Post
    Hi, the mating calls should mean that they will lay eggs soon. Have they cleaned the cone at all? Here is a nice blog from another forum that helped me get my discus to spawn: https://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-t...eggs-4105.html

They are basically rubbing on the breeding conr and the male seems to be pushing it.

Real Name
    Matt

Hmm...

Here is what I think. I believe that they don’t like where the cone is. Try moving it to a place where there is less water flow. If you watch King of DIY, on one of his discus videos he said that he had to move the cone 5 times before they were happy with its location. Try moving it and see if they will like the location. The reason I think this is because you say he is pushing it, possibly because he wants it in a different spot. Some cichlids dig in sand if they don’t like how flat it is, she’ll dwellers are a good example...

Try moving it and tell us how it goes, if they are rubbing on it, it means they want to breed, same with the mating dances, they want to breed but don’t like the location for where to lay their eggs.