AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New tank is almost ready!

Real Name
    Mark

Default Re: New tank is almost ready!

Are you planning on running the tap water through any kind of filter before it enters the barrel?

Real Name
    Jake

Our tap water quality is pretty good apart from the added chloramines and chlorine. I've tested the TDS and it's below 200 every time.

Is there a specific need to run it through a filter? I was always under the impression that the only reason I would need to use something like a 2-stage carbon filter or higher stage RO unit was if my water quality was low or pH swings are large after aging. My understanding was that as long as my pH is stable and TDS is low it should be safe and that domestically bred discus can be kept in pH of 7.6-7.8 without harm.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

There's members here that successfully breed and raise domestic discus in pH's much higher, like in the 8+ range

Real Name
    Mark

I would at least run it through a good sediment filter. You will be surprised how much crap comes out of “clean” tap water. Whether you run carbon or RO or anything else, aging the water over night is good practice. I have from the beginning, but after reading so many posts I went and checked ph at all the stages of my process. There was a big swing from tap to aged overnight, so any thoughts I might of had to rush things and skip aging are gone.

Real Name
    Jake

I'm considering a whole house sediment filter soon - considering my main shutoff valve doesn't close all the way, I'm looking to replace it and I think it would be a good time to install one. There's plenty of space near the shutoff for the filter to be mounted to the wall. With that said, I have lived in the same area my whole life and kept discus before without a sediment filter and they didn't seem adversely affected.

The water will be heated and aged at least overnight in my Brute can - I have a pond pump in there circulating water and an air pump for aeration and off-gassing. This is more for my sanity than anything - pH from the tap is only 7.8 to 8.0, and aging moves it down to 7.6.

Hence the reason why I wanted to remove my planted tank substrate - it was taking my pH from 7.6 to 6.4, and when I tested yesterday it was sitting lower than that. Way too much of a difference for my liking so I decided to remove it. There was no saving it either - as I started taking it out I realized it had degraded to the point of being almost mud. I ended up draining the entire contents of the tank and used my ShopVac to suck out all of the substrate I had in it. It was a mess. Luckily I had both my Brute can filled as well as a 40B QT tank sitting there so I was able to refill it with mostly aged and treated water. The pH has stabilized to my liking (sitting pretty at 7.6) and I was able to fix the floating driftwood with my stones for now. I've included a progress picture, but be kind because the location of the stones are not where they will likely end up permanently.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi AquaticNerd, everything is looking good so far. One suggestion. The hose used for filling the brute container, is that a regular garden hose? If so consider replacing with a water-potable hose like an RV hose. Garden hoses have the interior of the hose coated with anti-mode etc coating which can be harmful to the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mark

+1 on the hose change, never did like the taste of the water from the garden hose when I was a kid!

Real Name
    Jake

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the suggestion - yes it currently is just a standard "leader" garden hose. I'll take a look at changing it out with something more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi AquaticNerd, everything is looking good so far. One suggestion. The hose used for filling the brute container, is that a regular garden hose? If so consider replacing with a water-potable hose like an RV hose. Garden hoses have the interior of the hose coated with anti-mode etc coating which can be harmful to the fish.
    Pat
    I agree with Pat here garden hose also contains petroleum, you can get vinyl that comes with a phython from your home supply store and add garden hose fittings, through personal experience I don't like rv hose they work good if pressurized but not to remove water.

Real Name
    Jake

That's all the RV hose will be used for - it's getting full water pressure so I can fill the Brute can and QT tank which is right next to it.

For water changes I have a small pond filter that I drop into the tank to drain it. Only took about 20 minutes to drain the entire tank yesterday so I would think a 30% WC would only take me 15 to empty and then fill back up. I've got the RV hose on order so it should arrive tomorrow. I suppose I could have retrofitted some braided vinyl tubing I already have, but having one already made suits me better than having to go to the hardware store for what feels like the millionth time just for one more part.

Real Name
    Jake

I'm currently bamboozled by how fast the cycle went. Not sure if I can give credit to Dr. Tim's Live Nitrifying Bacteria or not, but my cycle has completed!

Using Fritz Pro Ammonium Chloride powder, I'm currently dosing 8ppm of ammonia every 24 hours, and test results at the end of that 24 hour period is 0ppm ammonia or nitrite! Guess it's time to start shopping for the inhabitants!

Current readings:

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bas

Looks great! I like the rock structure in general but I'd personally make it slightly less organized to promote a more natural look. Shape of the wood is awesome.

Some of those bacterial products really work. Just the be sure: did you also check for nitrates?

Real Name
    Jake

The rock structure isn't in its final state. A lot of those rocks are there simply because I need them to weigh down the driftwood. That big stone on the very right in the middle is one that isn't even going to be a part of the hardscape once the wood gets waterlogged.

I appreciate the caution on that one - I did indeed check for nitrates. It was probably higher than the reading since the solution was a dark burgundy, so I assume that it was at least 160ppm or higher.

I just placed an order with Kenny yesterday (he's great by the way) - the fish will arrive Tuesday. Throughout this week, I'll be maintaining the cycle by adding ammonia and performing WCs to keep the nitrates down.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bas

I see your point. Just a thought, I really liked how it was stacked in one of your first pictures.

Good to hear. Nice!

Real Name
    Jake

Yeah, the first few pictures of the tank when it was dry is the look I'm eventually going to go for. The idea there - it looks a bit more natural while also being able to hide the clean cuts on the end of the driftwood.

Thanks for your feedback!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast