AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water softener

Default Water softener

Does anyone here use water softeners rather than ro.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Water softener

Water softeners replace calcium and and magnesium with sodium. So, Ro water would be better for discus. Most will by-pass their water softener for discus.

The water softener I'm looking at uses resin like the api pillow softeners, and it claims to take water with a gh of 10 to 0 at the rate of 5 gal per minute.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mervin

Don't yeah wish they'd put on those api pillows what soft ions will be left behind that replace the harder ions. Usually sodium or potassium, not enough to to hender human health but SA fish would rather live in a sodium free environment.

I guess I'll have to do more research as I was under the impression that there are 2 different types of water softeners, one which uses salt and another that uses resin

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mervin

The resin is where the exchange takes place. In time the resin will need rechanging with salt.

There is always someone here who knows the answer to the questions I don't know the answer to. It's why I'm so devoted to this place. Thanks, Mervin.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

what prize is for this softener?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Water softeners contain resin, they are regenerated with salt, they replace calcium and magnesium with sodium, fresh water fish shouldn't be put in this sort of environment. A mixture of RO and unsoftened water is typically best. If you unsoftened water is only gh10 then you can probably just use straight unsoftened water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    what prize is for this softener?
    The unit I'm looking at is 130.00 it's a portable unit and to soften 2,000gal. Before needing charged.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mervin

South American fish from the Amazon do not need nor like sodium. Might be ok for a couple of weeks for remedies. They would rather be in smaller amounts of what is already in your water, especially domestcated discus, instead of adding salt.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    The unit I'm looking at is 130.00 it's a portable unit and to soften 2,000gal. Before needing charged.

Jeanne
    Looking at the cost per gallon is a reasonable approach. An R/O unit would be far less expensive, although it requires more complicated plumbing to start.

I change about 300 gal daily, so this thing will last a week in my fish room. Not a good deal for me, but maybe for others with a less acute case of OCD.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Looking at the cost per gallon is a reasonable approach. An R/O unit would be far less expensive, although it requires more complicated plumbing to start.

I change about 300 gal daily, so this thing will last a week in my fish room. Not a good deal for me, but maybe for others with a less acute case of OCD.

Willie
    Well now Willie with all the RO units out there which one did you go with and why, and how many gpd will it do.

Thanks Jeanne