ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: cannot explain why

Registered Member

Default cannot explain why

I have 6 discus in a 80 gallon tank, this tank is divided into 3 separate tanks by a glass divider with holes so all three tanks have the same water. In each tank are 2 discus which are supposed to be male and female. In the one tank which the far right tank I have a pair of red turks about 1 1/2 years old. They where always very healthy and always came to the front of the tank looking for food. But lately they are hiding side by side as if they are very scared and don't come out not even to eat. They show no signs of a disease no clamped fines but when I try to move them in the tank they are very fast moving and swim very erratic.All the other discus in the same tank are okay. I did change their diet a little and have done some water changed but this does not help. I have seen this before with discus which are new to their surroundings but these are not. Any suggestions would be very welcome, thank u

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: cannot explain why

Hi Springer,
    Sorry you're having some problems. Can you tell us a bit more about what you feed and what you water change regimen is? Might give folks more to go on.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Does clean water flow into each section or into 1 then the next then the next? Which direction is the flow?
    Just a thought if the flow is left to right the fish in the right hand end aren't you getting as much clean water as the waste from the previous 2 sections has increased concentration in the 3rd section. Just a thought...
    How long have the 3 pairs coexisted in this set up?

I think that Danny is on the right track but it would still help if you would fill out the form. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Each section has its own filter but when I did my last water change I drained down 1/2 of the tank and refilled the section where the trouble is which would eventually reach the other sections but this section would get the majority of the fresh water, their may have been a change in the ph higher to lower. They where mostly fed red worms and frozen brine shrimp but I did change them to beefheart. I notice that the male does come out now but when I approach the tank he hides back with the other fish and looks like he is scared to come out. These fish where like little pigs and would eat out of my hand.