AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Acclimating New & Old Question

Default Acclimating New & Old Question

Need a little guidance on this one. I just got my new 160gal up and running, fully cycled and ready for fish. I have my new group arriving tomorrow from Chicago Discus and they will go straight in the new tank by themselves. I have 7 discus in my existing 90gal that I will eventually move over to the new. How long of a wait until I transfer my first hero fish from the old to the new? Then how long till the rest of the old can be moved assuming I have no issues with the hero?

Thx in advance!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Acclimating New & Old Question

1 thing to consider is that whilst being from the same source the fish you picked from CD may not have ever been housed together. You should watch them closely for 6 weeks before moving your hero fish.
    I recommend you have salt, metro & furan 2 on hand if the need suddenly arises.
    I made a thread in the beginners section called "hero fish question". Later in the thread it outlines what happened when I put my hero fish from an outstandingly healthy group into the other outstandingly healthy group. I never saw it coming cause alone each group was strong, eating like maniacs and showed no visible signs of pathogens.
    I eventually got them all together but not without a few sleepless nights, and I had to treat both tanks in the end so I could move them together.

Question for you first, in order to have all the info I feel may have relevance before providing you with an answer to your question:

How long have you had the existing 7 discus, what size are they in comparison to the ones you're getting from Chicago Discus,
    what source did you get them from, and what type of wc & tank cleanse routine were you following in the 90 ?
    I'm assuming that you're fully satisfied your 7 existing discus are in real good health (as we know that Chicago Discus' fish will be).

This may be relevant to decide as to whether it might be best to introduce an old hero fish to the new group, or the other way around.

Ive had the existing fish for about two years, they are 5-6" and they also came from CD. The new group is also 5-6". I do a 50-75% WC every three days, bare tank. New tank is 125gal w/40gal sump containing poret foam from Swiss Tropicals.

Use a hero fish from the old batch.
    Mama Bear