AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations where you guys get your fish?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Any recommendations where you guys get your fish?

I am trying to look for a website that sells Excellent discus fish quality. Also I live in California near Huntington beach so if anyone has any recommendations around here at a local store or breeder would be helpful.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Any recommendations where you guys get your fish?

Hi Donny,
    Check out the Sponsors section here on the forum. The sellers there have all been vetted by Al, the forum owner, as responsible, quality sellers.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Donny,
    Check out the Sponsors section here on the forum. The sellers there have all been vetted by Al, the forum owner, as responsible, quality sellers.
    +1 to Steve.

Nevertheless, always look at reviews regardless as they give a lot of good feedback.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Chicago Discus...

If I lived in Ca. where you live, I'd drive up to Daly City (near S.F.), meet with Kenny Cheung, and personally select my discus from his stock on hand. You can't get better quality than Kenny's.

Real Name
    Steve

As a moderator here, I try to be very neutral, but I do buy mine from Kenny

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I had a great experience with SD sponsor Dennis's Discus Fish out of Bowling Green OH. He ships nation wide, and it's free on orders over $399.

In California, Uncle Sams discus is also good. Have a nice Alenquer F1 pair bought from them.

Real Name
    Brian

The best way to proceed is to do a little research and find out exactly what you would like to have in your tanks, then find a reputable seller who sells that strain.

The best thing about selecting a forum sponsor is transparency. They usually welcome your communication and can even keep an eye out for you on upcoming shipments and customize your order...

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    In California, Uncle Sams discus is also good. Have a nice Alenquer F1 pair bought from them.
    I usually don't comment on other discus sources, but in this case I must say that ordering from them is a crap shoot. I traded 3 emails and 3 phone conversations before the sale, explaining exactly what I was looking for and they assured me they would send exactly what we discussed. My experiences with them are that out of 10 discus, 3 are pretty nice, 3 died of organ failure and the other 4 are culls. My experience with their customer service is that is is non-existent after the sale even to the point of avoiding phone calls and ignoring emails.

It's great that you had a good experience but I will avoid Uncle Sam's like the plague from this point on and I'll let others know not to be taken in by a flashy website or what seem to be great sale prices...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Quality-Discus

No, my experiences- 2 separate- were nothing like that.

Weren't these guys once a sponsor here at one time vetted by Al?
    That is actually why I bought from them when I did-- because they were forum sponsors that were vetted and recommendation by Al.
    Last edited by Discluv; 10-23-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

At one time, yes but it's been awhile. I believe that's when Darwin was the owner and had an excellent reputation. Unfortunately, there many recent stories similar to mine.

Some sponsors that leave are not due to quality issues on their part, though, correct?
    I see some come, go, and come back again, Im assuming because, in some cases, they do not pay there sponsor fees?

Also, one of the longstanding sponsors listed ( I will not name which, because- to what end?) I have ordered from at least 4 different times over the last 10 years and they have consistently given me poor quality, sickly fish. Im not new to discus- been raising them for 18 years. But, the last time I ordered from this vendor, around a year ago, I paid 250.00 for 1 fish that looked superior and, once I received it, it was anything but. Its still alive but extremely unattractive- certainly not worth the money I paid for it. Finally learned my lesson.

For these reasons, forum sponsors just dont have the same influence they once had on me on making a decision who I buy from.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    I am trying to look for a website that sells Excellent discus fish quality. Also I live in California near Huntington beach so if anyone has any recommendations around here at a local store or breeder would be helpful.
    I'm sure all the sponsors here are great. I have purchased all my discus from Kenny. I live in Southern CA as well. Check out next month's listing with Kenny. If you find something you like and I find something I like we can split on shipping.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
    I'm sure all the sponsors here are great. I have purchased all my discus from Kenny. I live in Southern CA as well. Check out next month's listing with Kenny. If you find something you like and I find something I like we can split on shipping.
    That would be great for you guys if it works out. I encourage you to look to PAST months' shipment pics and have a good idea of what you are looking for, and then email Kenny and make contact ahead of time, if you decide to try him. Then you're ready when his new shipment pics are posted and you can place a possible order quickly. Things may have changed, but his fish in demand go quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast